A global tribe of individuals, partners and progressives, devoted to creating extraordinary experiences for our community throughout our proprietary brands - we are sbe.
Visionaries at the forefront of hospitality, cuisine, design, residences and entertainment, our lifestyle moments are forged with highly-curated and passionate service.
We are committed to authenticity, sophistication, mastery and innovation.
Our stage is the world. Our time is now.
With this in mind, we foster a family environment built on values that describe our lifestyle, experiences and how we see the world. When you have a tribe such as ours and place it in and around the collection of accommodations, restaurants and nightlife, you create a force that cannot be replicated by anyone else. We are an equal opportunity employer.
The General Manager will be responsible for the planning, launching and opening of a new sbe lifestyle and luxury property located in the heart of Downtown Detroit. The General Manager will effectively lead and manage all aspects of the hotel operations including guest and team member satisfaction, rooms, nightlife, Food & Beverage operations, financial performance, revenue, sales and marketing, and fiscal operations for the property. Drives implementation of the sbe brand service strategy and brand initiatives with the objective of exceeding guest expectations, increased profit and market share. Leads the team in the development and implementation of property-wide strategies, holds property leadership team accountable for strategy execution and guides their individual professional development.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Pre-opening and opening of new property containing various F&B venues.
- Functioning as the primary strategic leader of the hotel with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including guest and associate satisfaction, human resources, financial performance and sales and revenue generation.
- Identifies leadership and fosters career development.
- Creates a cohesive leadership team and positive business environment that consistently delivers results.
- Establish staffing requirements and support in recruiting, selecting, hiring, training and developing of the pre-opening team as needed.
- Develops deployment strategies to market property in order to continue to grow market share.
- Supports the sales strategy by encouraging effective revenue management practices.
- Reviews the STAR report, competitive shopping reports and uses other resources to maintain an awareness of the property’s market position.
- Ensures capital expenditure funds are being budgeted and deployed effectively.
- Holds team accountable for successful performance in a positive manner.
- Utilizes an “open door” policy.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property goals to produce desired results.
- Fosters team member engagement to providing excellent service.
- Participates in daily Operations to ensure strong and sustained interdepartmental communications, problem resolution and guest satisfaction.
- Ensures accurate revenue, expense and labor forecasts and execution.
- Use business forecasts to manage costs by scheduling labor in accordance with staffing guidelines, control other expenses in accordance with business demand levels, and control utility expenses in accordance with energy management and building operations standards.
- Partner closely with ownership and works to understand their priorities and exceed their expectations through proactive and on-going communication.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Attend mandatory hotel meetings including divisional meetings, staff meetings, etc.
- Daily interaction with Executive Committee members and property leaders.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of sbe are met.
- Utilize traditional software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) as well as Open Table, Seven Rooms, TAR, Opera and any property specific systems used.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Ownership, COO or Corporate Office.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics, which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards. Be a culture champion.
- Ensure that all staff follows and are in compliance with sbe’s policies and procedures.
- Assimilate into multi-property culture through understanding, supporting and participating in all sbe elements. Demonstrate working knowledge of the service standards.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by sbe from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, team members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property including weekends and holidays.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Hotel General Manager experience in comparable upscale full service hotel required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Hospitality or a related field
- Sound knowledge and experience of the Luxury and Lifestyle hospitality sector
- Diverse Food & Beverage experience within a Senior Food & Beverage role
- Excellent leadership skills
- Experience with maintaining ownership relationship
- Excellent attention to detail, follow-up, flexible and adaptable to change
- Experience and knowledge of Rooms division
- Experience and knowledge of Sales & Marketing and Revenue
- Opening of venues/hotels experience preferred
- Proven track record in delivering financial results
- Proven track record of building a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment
- Ability to inspire team members and to create a culture of care and accountability
- Commitment to exceptional guest experience
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Ability to create a high level of energy and translate culture to company values
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization
- Will be based in Detroit, Michigan.