EwingCole is a nationally recognized architecture, engineering, interior design and planning firm with offices across the country. Our multi-disciplinary practice is built on the core values of professional excellence, design quality and collaboration. We are seeking an energetic Interior Designer ll to join our New York office.
The Interior Designer II position entails leading the interior design effort of small-scaled projects as well as assisting a lead interior designer with the design of larger projects. The designer is responsible for developing conceptual design and evolving these concepts with the selection and detailing of finish materials and furnishings. This position coordinates its work with other disciplines in the production of drawings and construction documents which fulfill the design concept, meet the client's expectations and the firm's goals of design excellence, financial viability and quality service. The Interior Design II position receives technical, budgetary, managerial and design guidance on critical issues, new concepts and policy requirements.
Schematic Design and Design Development
- Conduct and verify programming with clients (as required by project type.
- Work with the project manager and the project lead designer(s) in creating interior environments which serve the client’s goals and responds to their desired spatial needs, image and aesthetic requirements.
- Develop code compliant designs.
- Develop schematic fundamental design reports.
- Select appropriate finish materials and furnishings.
- Prepare furniture budgets.
- Develop presentation materials including 3D renderings.
- Lead and participate in design presentations to the client.
- Participate in the projects’ in-house design review presentations.
- Collaborate with lighting designer to develop lighting concepts and initial fixture selection.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines.
- Mentor less experienced designers in above tasks.
- Collaborate with the design team in articulating design principles that help govern the detailing phase of the project.
- Execute and enhance the design intent while preparing the construction documents.
- Work with architecture and the engineering disciplines to ensure a consistent development of the project towards the design concepts established in earlier phases.
- Develop project and furniture specifications and other technical requirements of projects.
- Supervise less experienced designers in above tasks.
- Prepare submittal responses, shop drawing review and construction site visits.
- Prepare interiors and furniture punch lists.
- Work with the technical team in preparing construction phase design directives.
- Assist market segment leaders and the marketing department in the preparation of design documents and presentation materials.
- Assist in the development of fees for proposals.
- Participate in interviews for potential project work.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Science in Interior Design, Interior Architecture or Architecture
- Five years of experience with interior design, some of which is in a specialized area (i.e. healthcare, academics, science and technology, commercial, etc.)
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Suite, 3D modeling software (Sketch up, Rhino)
- Excellent conceptual skills and understanding of interior architecture
- Polished skills in client design visioning sessions and presentations
- Complete knowledge of interior architectural detailing
- Comprehensive understanding of finish materials and their application
Preferred Education and Experience:
- NCIDQ Certification or actively pursuing
- Comprehensive understanding of sustainable design concepts and experience with LEED (or other rating systems) documentation