Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE) is more than just an insurance company; we exist to be there for people in the best and hardest moments of their lives.
Our team is the power behind that promise. And, as the industry rapidly evolves and we seek ways to optimize business processes and customer experiences, there's no greater time for forward-thinking professionals like you to join us in delivering on it!
As a member of Team Blue, you'll find purpose, opportunities and the support you need to build a meaningful career and make a powerful impact in our community.
The Lead Media and Public Relations Strategist is responsible for the development and execution of BCBSNE's external media and public relations efforts, across multiple platforms and formats. This individual is the company's primary news media contact.
What you'll do:
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- Field news media information/interview requests, providing context and response recommendations to management
- Build strong and effective relationships with relevant media outlets to encompass paid and earned media
- Proactively pitch news stories to promote BCBSNE in the media as appropriate
- Produce news releases and other written content, including blog posts, newsroom stories, infographics, podcasts, videos, website and social media posts, etc.
- Prepare designated spokespersons/subject matter experts for interviews, including the development of talking points and other briefing materials; coordinate and evaluate media training as needed
- Foster an internal brand journalism culture with BCBSNE employees
- Maintain and revise as necessary the company's crisis communication plan, working with leadership and subject matter experts as appropriate
- Align and integrate news strategies with marketing strategies to drive positive return on investment
- Brainstorm unique market/community engagement ideas in collaboration with team and media partners
- Collaborate with department leadership to develop media strategies and explore partnership opportunities
- Collaborate with peers at BCBSA and other BCBS plans on PR strategies and newsworthy content initiatives (find compelling national stories to tell and share Nebraska stories on a broader scale)
- Monitor and manage the company's social media on a daily basis; develop organic social strategy in alignment with overall content strategy and paid digital/advertising strategies
- Consult SAM team and other customer-facing staff on content-sharing, social selling
- Maintain and optimize social media profiles
- Help facilitate responses to comments/questions posted on social media, working with Member Services and other internal SMEs
- Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design, and effectiveness
- Track, analyze and regularly report on media coverage
- Monitor company (BCBSNE), enterprise (BCBS), market, industry, competitor, key customer news
- Share internal updates
- Align with Insights team on findings and POVs
- Formulate timely content recommendations where applicable
- Write/develop (and/or guide team in developing) content
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, English, marketing or similar area of study and 5+ years of related experience
- Background in print and/or broadcast news strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience in fostering strong, proactive relationships with the news media
- The ability to work well in a team environment, and be capable of building and maintaining positive relationships with other staff, departments, and customers
- Strong storytelling skills, both long and short form
- Exceptional news judgment and ability to synthesize issues quickly and respond appropriately
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; knowledge and application of AP style guidelines
- Crisis communication experience
- Strong social media skills and knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to provide counsel to leaders and others on news issues
- Ability to influence and manage change in a positive and collaborative manner
Learn more about what makes BCBSNE such an exceptional place to work by visiting NebraskaBlue.com/Careers.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspective and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our customers and members.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans