Lead Surgical Technologist
The Lead Surgical Technologist works collaboratively to facilitate Surgical Technologist assignments. Work under the direct supervision of a Clinician and the Director to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive and non-invasive procedures. Perform advanced tasks on a regular basis in an operating room that assist the surgical team. Work on complex surgical procedures within at least three surgical specialties. Arrange sterile setup for surgical procedures; pass instruments, sponge and sutures to surgeons and surgical assistants; prepare sterile supplies; assist in cleanup of the operating room; check placement and operation of equipment; and check and restock operating room. During surgical procedures may be responsible for special trays, grafting materials, and recording patient data. Accountable for instrumentation, equipment, and supplies to ensure proper use and availability for quality patient service.
- Coordinate day to day supervision of the surgical technicians. Serve as the Lead on daily shifts to resolve/answer any questions or issues. Teach both skill and theoretical principles to new employees and students.
- Assist the Nurse Specialist in supervising the use of supplies and equipment for patient care and safety in all procedures.
- Ensure all medications are labeled and handed to surgeon according to established policies and procedures.
- Under the case scheduling process; may have ability to schedule procedures.
- Demonstrate initiative in problem solving as related to patient and technical issues that contribute to the improvement of the Operating Room function and operation.
- Liaison with Sterile Processing.
- Modify/revise requisitions (surgeon's preference cards) on an as needed basis.
- Assume responsibility under the direction of the Clinician for presenting one in-service training to the staff each year.
- Ensure clean, safe environment through continued alertness to safety and explosive hazards and aseptic technique.
- Have Epro access and ability to order specialty items.
- Serve as a resource to other staff members. Assist head nurse by precepting students and new employees.
- During surgery, efficiently pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and surgeon assistants. Under the supervision of the surgeon hold retractors or instruments, cut sutures, sponge or suction the operative site and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
- After surgery, may help transfer patients to the recovery room. Clean and restock the operating room.
- Prepare patients for surgery by wash, shave, and ensure aseptic incision sites. May transport patients to the operating room, help position them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical drapes.
- Support cost containment in the use of materials and equipment.
- Assist the surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and gloves.
- Assist in the preparation, care for, and disposal of specimens taken for laboratory analysis and help apply dressings.
- Before an operation, help to prepare the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions. Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment. Adjust and check equipment to ensure it is working properly.
- Facilitate education of surgical techs.
- Participate in peer review.
- Completion of a formal surgical technician program offered by a community or junior college, vocational school, university, hospital or the military.
- A minimum of 4 years or more of Operating Room experience required.
- Advanced knowledge of at least 3 surgical specialties.
- Receive a Solid/Strong/Good or higher on last performance evaluation.
- Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) OR Tech in Surgery-Certified (TSC)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran