Legal Assistant, Student Adjudication
Chicago Public Schools
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third-largest school district in the United States, serving over 340,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career, and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission, we make three commitments to our students, their families, and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability, and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments – student-centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership, and continuous learning.
The Legal Assistant’s responsibilities will support the overall success of the Law Department. This position will operate with a high level of integrity and confidentiality, as they will have regular access to the Law Department and other CPS Departments’ confidential files, data and information, including confidential student information. The Legal Assistant will report to the Deputy General Counsel, and may perform duties in support of the General Counsel, First Deputy General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, Senior Assistant General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel and Office Manager in the Law Department.
The Legal Assistant will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate student expulsion hearing process, which includes scheduling student expulsion hearings, providing accurate and timely notice of such hearing, and preparing files for each hearing.
- Coordinate administration of special projects, such as, but not limited to, annual principals’ conference and administrative hearings.
- Manage and update internal records system.
- Performing routine administrative duties for assigned attorneys, but may include duties for the General Counsel, First Deputy General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, Senior Assistant General Counsel, and Assistant General Counsel in the Law Department.
- Performs other duties as they might be assigned.
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Legal Assistant must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education Required:
- High school diploma, required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferred.
Type of Experience Required:
- Minimum of three (3) years’ administrative work experience in a legal environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and be detail oriented.
- Ability to keep matters confidential and understand what can be and cannot be disclosed.
As a condition of employment with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), employees are required to live within the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago within six months of their CPS hire date and must maintain residency throughout their employment with the district.