Join us as we pursue our mission to remove the barriers between data and action. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, our customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other’s success.
We are seeking an experienced Legal Counsel, Corporate to support Splunk’s corporate legal functions, with a primary focus on SEC reporting, corporate governance, and global subsidiary maintenance, and evolving responsibilities depending on your interests and the business’ needs. You will have both a meaningful role in a growing legal department and an opportunity to develop professionally with the support of a collaborative and experienced team. The role reports to Splunk's Senior Director, Corporate Legal and is based in Splunk’s corporate HQ in San Francisco (location flexible).
Personal Characteristics and Skills
To succeed, the role requires you to be highly collaborative with a positive demeanor and a sense of humor; you’ll need to demonstrate high EQ and a strong history of successful cross-functional collaboration; we need a self-starter with intellectual curiosity and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced work environment with perseverance and resourcefulness; we’re also looking for candidates with a high degree of accountability and professional drive; a growth mindset with flexibility and desire to work on a variety of legal matters, learn and have a meaningful impact are must-haves.
- Advise on securities law and related general corporate matters
- Be responsible for ensuring compliance with obligations under federal securities laws and Nasdaq rules and regulations, including preparation and filing of Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements, and other SEC filings and reports
- Support the annual stockholder meeting process, including preparing D&O questionnaires, coordinating proxy solicitor, transfer agent, and proxy mailing activities as well as meeting logistics
- Support the Splunk Office of the Corporate Secretary, including coordination, preparation and distribution of agendas, resolutions, consents, minutes, and other materials for Board of Directors and committee meetings, as well as assisting with director onboarding
- Assist with investor matters, including review of announcements, press releases, investor presentations and other investor communications
- Stay current on corporate governance trends and best practices and SEC and Nasdaq developments, including research or benchmarking projects
- Assist with subsidiary maintenance for all domestic and international subsidiaries
- Assist with ESG governance and reporting initiatives
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures, and lead and assist with the corporate legal team’s efforts in conducting periodic employee trainings on matters related to compliance and securities law, including insider trading, related party transactions and Regulation FD
- Develop and implement standardized templates and processes for repeatable transactions that will advance and scale Splunk’s business
- Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues across functions, ensuring good relationships between legal, finance, human resources and operations to facilitate a coordinated team approach
- Pitch in on whatever legal work needs doing, whenever it needs to be done
- Effectively manage outside counsel as needed
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and good standing to practice law in the State of California
- 6-9 years of relevant experience at a law firm; experience at a publicly-traded technology company preferred
- In-depth knowledge of securities law
- Significant experience advising clients on public company reporting and compliance matters, as well as corporate governance matters
- Excellent written, communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to adapt to and thrive in a dynamic environment of rapid growth, preferably in or with fast-paced tech driven companies
- Be organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through abilities
- Excellent business sense and legal judgment, with the ability to be strategic as well as detail-oriented
- Be able to simultaneously manage and stage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a rapidly evolving environment
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.