LIBRARY MEDIA SPECIALIST
Kennedy Krieger Institute
the Library Media Specialist plans and administers the school's library media program with input from the campus Education Director. The Library Media Specialist plans and provides direct instruction to students and training to staff. The Library Media Specialist manages library media center material, facilities, and equipment. The Library Media Specialist provides students and staff with information about and instructional assistance in the use of current research technology, Internet, and traditional library materials. The Library Media Specialist manages the school-wide library media computerized patron and material records systems.Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive program of school library media services.
- Plan with administration and staff for the integration of media program resources and media skill consistent with learner outcomes throughout the school.
- Prepare short and long-range plans for keeping the resources collection and data collection current. Plan an annual budget for acquisition of media center resources.
- Evaluate, select, and maintain a collection of age and developmentally appropriate materials from print to the newest information technologies that support the school-wide curriculum and are appropriate.
- Compile bibliographies, reading lists and provides addresses for useful telecommunication sites, and prepare exhibits and displays of new or current materials that support the curriculum.
- Correlate all new courses of study with resources of the school library media center.
- Maintain accurate up to date records of Media Center collection in accordance with copyright issues and as required for MSDE and school reports.
- Maintain and replace audio/visual equipment in the Library Media Center and throughout the school in cooperation with schoolâ€™s IS department.
- Teach information retrieval skills to students and prepares students to evaluate the relevancy, authority, and accuracy of sources found on Internet, electronic databases, and in traditional resources.
- Provide literature enrichment activities.
- Plan with schoolâ€™s IS department, Director and Program Coordinators to provide a comprehensive program for staff development, focusing on media instruction.
- Initiate and coordinate training of school-based staff in the use of electronic research resources, multi-media production, and other library media resources.
- Provide access to professional materials for teacher reference and general professional reading, viewing, and listening.
- Continuously update personal knowledge about new technologies, learning theories, and instructional strategies to share with staff.
- Implement appropriate behavior management for students as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Master's degree from an accredited college or university in school library media, with media generalist specialization and course work in curriculum and special education or progression towards the degree.
Meets Maryland state certification requirements for Educational Media (audiovisual/library) Generalist (Level II).
- Experience in educational/school setting including experience working with Special Needs students of all ages.