Reports To: Building Principal
Position Purpose: The library media specialist provides all students and staff with an enriched library environment containing a wide variety and range of resources that will invite intellectual growth. The media specialist aids students and staff in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of the library media center resources.
- Master's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Current Kansas State Teaching Certificate with Library Media endorsement
- Two years teaching experience preferred
- ESOL endorsement preferred
Physical/Emotional Requirements: The incumbent may be required to use thefollowing skills and abilities during any part of the working day.
Speaking, hearing, visual, reading, writing, word processing, mobility, consistency of temperament, ability to work with a variety of problems at the same time, stamina for working long hours and in stress producing environments.
Performance Responsibilities:Planning and Preparation
The Library Media Center Environment
- Demonstrates knowledge of literature and current trends in library media practice
- Demonstrates knowledge of the state standards, the school's program, the school improvement plan, and student information needs within that program
- Establishes goals for the library media program appropriate to the setting and the students served
- Plans the library media program integrated with the overall school program
- Demonstrates the use of information literacy and educational technology
Delivery of Service and Instruction
- Creates an environment of respect and rapport with students and school staff
- Establishes a culture for investigation and love of literature
- Manages student behavior
- Organizes available physical space to enable efficient use within existing constraints
- Collaborates with school staff in the design of instructional units and lessons
- Engages students in enjoying literature and in learning information literacy skills
- Assists students and school staff in the use of technology in the library media center.
- Teaches students and school staff ethical and effective strategies for locating and using ideas and information
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness
- Reflects on library media program
- Communicates with the larger community
- Participates in a professional community
- Engages in professional development
- Advocates for the school library media program
- Shows professionalism
Library Media Program Management
- Demonstrates knowledge of resources, both within and beyond the school and district, and access to such resources as interlibrary loan
- Develops a plan to evaluate the library media program
- Establishes and maintains library policies and procedures
- Maintains and extends the library collection in accordance with the school's needs and within budget limitations
- Maintains the school audiovisual equipment and instructional technologies collection in accordance with the school's needs, budget limitations, and duty assignments
- Prepares and submits budgets, records and reports
- Administers programs and events related to the library media center
- Other duties as might be assigned
Terms of Employment:
10.5 months; salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board policy on evaluation of certified employees.