Manager Clinical Informatics
Springfield, IL, US
8 days ago
Reporting to the System Director of Clinical Informatics, the Manager of Clinical Informatics is responsible for planning, implementing, training, and supporting health information technology (HIT) initiatives for nursing colleagues in the acute care setting and hospital-based clinics. Works in conjunction with fellow Managers of Imaging and Medical Informatics to assure a coordinated approach from the Clinical Informatics Department. Collaborates with clinical and organizational leaders to identify, recommend, design, implement, and support appropriate HIT solutions for the nursing team with respect to multidisciplinary stakeholders. Provides coordination of testing, vetting change and enhancement requests, upgrades, and new HIT implementations to insure quality, standardization, and safety. Partners with organizational and clinical leaders to design systems and processes that address strategic, regulatory, and quality improvement initiatives. Assures appropriate development, modifications, and ongoing review of order sets in compliance with hospital division policy. Manages vendor relationships as appropriate to provide support, maintenance, and enhancements of technologies for which Clinical Informatics is the primary owner. Manages the daily operations and staff in the Clinical Informatics Department.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing required; Graduate degree in nursing, information technology or related field preferred.
- RN license in the State of Illinois required.
- A minimum of five years applied technical experience in a clinical environment or with electronic medical record systems and/or health informatics experience required. Cerner experience preferred.
- A minimum of two years acute care bedside nursing experience is required.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to translate between clinical and technical teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with colleagues, medical staff, Information Services, partner organizations, and vendors.
- Adaptable and agile to respond creatively and quickly to the needs of a complex acute-care delivery system in an often unpredictable industry.
- Practiced and comfortable in conflict management, consensus-building, staff development, and coaching.
- Ability to work independently with strong organizational skills and personal accountability for results.
- Commitment to exemplary customer satisfaction including strong sense of urgency around issue resolution.
- Responsible for identifying, planning, developing, and implementing HIT solutions and services that enable and support nursing team care delivery. Assures HIT solutions and services align with Memorial Health values-safety, integrity, quality, and stewardship.
- Effectively manage large and small-scale projects. As appropriate, assume project management role in managing tasks, deliverables, IS resource allocation, and accountability. Execute projects from start to finish providing post-implementation support plans including continuous quality improvement. Complete projects on time and on budget.
- Communicate IS project plans, policies, and timelines with customers. Provide pertinent information required by clinical and operational management to make appropriate and effective decisions related to technology investments.
- Maintain an active relationship with the nursing leadership team to identify technology opportunities to improve safety and care of patients and enhance nursing workflow.
- Facilitate issue reporting and communicate status updates, remediation steps, and resolution to the nursing team during periods of system degradation or outage.
- Coordinate system testing for change and enhancement requests, upgrades, and new HIT implementations to insure quality, standardization, and safety.
- Participate in the shared practice model by facilitating the Nursing Informatics Council and enabling staff-level decision-making and accountability.
- Oversee the work of the Evidence Based Order Set Coordinator and Order Set Committee to insure timely, compliant, and standardized development, modification, and review of order sets.
- Serve as a clinical champion for improved integration with physicians, nurses, and all clinical and operational departments.
- Provide and interpret data utilized in decision support, monitoring staff performance, quality initiatives, compliance, and hospital surveys. Work with organizational leaders to identify gaps and develop action plans.
- Monitor and ensure ongoing success of CI projects related to stated benefits and desired outcomes with particular emphasis on clinician adoption and satisfaction.
- Promote and model change management principles to foster a responsive, agile team and facilitate well-executed change for clinical customers.
- Identify creative solutions to problems and opportunities to enhance IS value to the organization.
- Responsible for assessing training and development needs of clinical staff. In collaboration with Organization Learning & Development, develops and delivers technical training for end users.
- Proactively monitor industry trends, regulatory landscape, health informatics topics, and external factors impacting clinical workflows and technology needs.
- Participate on committees and teams including, but not limited to, Medical Informatics Committee and Interdisciplinary Informatics Committee to collaborate and determine allocation of resources to highest priority projects and to ensure systems meet or exceed customer requirements at all times.
- Serve as an active member of the IS Leadership Group.
- Coordinate with the System Director, Clinical Informatics and fellow managers to prioritize and develop annual action plans and multi-year strategies.
- Performs personnel-related functions such as recruitment, hiring, performance appraisals, coaching, corrective actions, compliance with policies and regulations and promote continuous learning and improvement. Serve as a role model for others.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process as required. Monitor and achieve budgeted results and protect the assets of the Health System at all times. Responsible for appropriate and prudent use of financial resources of the department at all times.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.