The Manager – OSP Construction is responsible for the management of TDS employees and/or consultants who are responsible for planning, coordinating and supervising outside plant field construction and splicing operations in multiple locations and states. You will be expected to work closely with representatives from field services, associate managers, consultants, Outside Plant engineers and construction contractors for both TDS CLEC/ILEC operations to ensure that the needs of the company are being met. You will be responsible for the Construction of fiber networks while conforming to existing RUS Outside Plant (OSP) guidelines and TDS OSP standards.
The Manager – OSP Construction is expected to oversee numerous construction projects, located in multiple locations and states.You will continually monitor costs, TDS Standards and overall job progress to ensure that construction projects are completed on time and within budget. You will be responsible for continually working with various governmental agencies to protect the TDS OSP network from being jeopardized by proposed road improvements. You may be required to negotiate with municipalities, other utility companies from a network and a legal perspective for the purchase, lease and/or sale of inner ducts, fiber and/or complete networks.
TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, Wis., employs nearly 2,700 people and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 1000 ® company. Founded in 1969, TDS Inc. employs 9,400 people and has approximately six million connections nationwide through its businesses U.S. Cellular, TDS Telecom, OneNeck IT Solutions LLC, and TDS Broadband Service. TDS Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America’s Best Employer for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women.
- Responsible for the management of TDS employees and/or consultants who are responsible for planning, coordinating and supervising outside plant field construction and splicing operations in multiple locations and states. Provide technical support for special request projects such as records verification, major road moves or potential on-net builds. He/she must work with Finance to ensure proper accounting of facilities placed and interact with the legal department to ensure that the company is not at risk in any asset transfers.
- Provide audits of OSP projects and coach Associate Managers – OSP Engineering & Construction and/or contractors to ensure accuracy and consistency. The audits will ensure compliance with National Electrical Code standards, current RUS and TDS OSP standards. Manage construction projects by reviewing quality of work, clean up resolution, proper maintenance of project documentation and continual review of project progress.
- Review all required reports from field personnel and contractor invoicing for accuracy.
- Ensure that the TDS OSP group complies with Sarbanes-Oxley guidelines and other departments such as Network Planning, Rights-of-Way and Contract Administration. This position requires the conducting of pre-staking, pre-bid and pre-construction meetings as required. He/she must verify that proper right-of-way, easements and permits are obtained and designs for proper cable sizing and facility routing. Making sure that proper close out, inspection and SOX compliance are being followed.
- Schedule and coordinate acceptance testing of new outside plant facilities. Periodically review and update audits and facility maps to ensure accuracy. Arrange to update records upon the completion of construction projects. Verify that all network additions are included on the local “one-call” mapping system
- Verify that all documentation required to complete projects successfully, including Bid Jobs, Build orders, Job Start Agreements, VMOP’s and close out documentation is complete.
- Provides human resource management and manpower apportionment necessary for completion of network projects. This includes managing in-house deployment staff as well as engaging and managing professional consultant engineers during peak periods. Focus is on personnel development through performance assessments, coaching, recognition, and process improvement.
- Conduct periodic quality assurance inspection of OSP projects performed by Local Operations personnel
- Provide recommendations to management for improving standards and practices resulting in higher quality and lower cost projects.
- Manage specific projects OSP projects directly if schedule permits.
- Design projects and prepare OSP workplans for construction or modification of network facilities if schedule permits. Including confirm and analyze OTDR trace results to verify contractor splicing quality.
- Assist in the training of field personnel on standards, RUS and TDS practices, time reporting codes and report/form preparation.
- Assist Network Operations staff in developing Capital Additions, Budget assumptions and long range planning.
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) -OR- 4+ years' professional work experience
- 5+ years' experience in telephony or related fields
- 3+ years' supervisory experience
- Excellent leadership, customer relations and communications skills
- Thorough Understanding of Telecommunications industry and principals
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Outlook, Excel and Office suite as well as GIS and ESRi
- Advanced working knowledge of RUS construction practices and engineering standards
- Ability to work in a cooperative and courteous manner with diverse work groups
- Must be self-motivated and self-reliant
- May be required to regular travel on an “as-needed” basis
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
As a part of your total compensation, TDS provides a comprehensive competitive benefit package. This benefit plan addresses both the immediate and long-term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for Full-Time employees including vacation, health benefits, and retirement options, click here!
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!