Material Handler I
ABOUT POET BIOPROCESSING
Our 28 Bioprocessing facilities produce over 1.9 billion gallons of ethanol, 5 million tons of Dakota Gold distillers grain animal feed and 600 million pounds of our Voila® corn oil. That’s a lot of product! In addition, we provide CO2 to the beverage industry and contribute to sustainable roadways. We also buy 650 million bushels of corn per year from local producers. It is our role at POET bioprocessing to ensure safe, efficient, and profitable operations at each facility.
The Material Handler I is responsible for loading dried distillers grains, ethanol, corn oil, wet cake feed, distiller’s syrup, or biomass into trucks and rail cars. Team members in this position use mechanical equipment, meters or scales as well as computers and software equipment when loading products to ensure a timely delivery and product safety. Based on training provided, the Material Handler I may also complete the grading of grain products or biomass.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE), YOU WILL:
- Load trucks and rail cars with feed and fuel products of POET bioprocessing facilities using mechanical equipment, meters and scales as required to ensure timely delivery of products.
- Assist with grain product or biomass and supply truck unloading functions.
- Complete the grading of grain products or biomass using training provided.
- Operate large machinery and equipment; may be required to obtain DOT certification.
- Maintain a clean work area.
- Enter bins adhering to POET’s confined space procedures.
- Complete HAZMAT paperwork when necessary.
- Learn, maintain and operate all processes associated with the grains operation including repair and maintenance.
- Remove, install, rebuild, lubricate and clean all equipment associated with the grains process.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks as directed.
- Be required to work outdoor, weekend, and holidays.
- Must be able to meet call-in requirements as well as work extended hours as necessary.
- Assist with running the bioprocessing facility scale house and learn required software applications.
- Work in an honest and ethical manner; maintain confidentiality on all business related matters.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience and knowledge in the operation of heavy machinery, skid loaders or other associated heavy loading or material-moving equipment preferred.
- Experience in truck loading and unloading, including rail tank car and tanker truck preferred.
- DOT certification preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to embrace change.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements at all times and in all work environments. This position is exposed to work in multiple environments, including plant, laboratory, as well as an office environment. The team member may be exposed to high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, dusty conditions, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements may include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
About the Company
Imagination, Discipline and a Lasting Impression
At POET, we are changing the world for the better while leaving a legacy that promotes health and sustainability through renewable biofuels.
We believe in creativity from common sense. We believe the solution to our nation's growing energy crises is not some far-flung work of science fiction. It's the domestic energy we're producing today. The people of POET are currently replacing millions of barrels of imported oil every year with clean, renewable energy. All while pumping billions of dollars back into the American economy.
In our three decades on the job, POET has developed an unmatched record in technology, reliability and efficiency. That's a legacy we intend to pass on. And every day we keep building on it. Today, we have a network of 28 plants in seven states and produce more than 1.7 billion gallons of biofuels annually.
More important than volume is the efficiency with which we produce our products. POET provides turnkey development, design, engineering, construction, management and marketing services for our plant network. Our facilities are the most successful and profitable in the industry.
Our technologies were developed and refined through years of hard work and collaboration with leaders in clean technology, biochemistry and animal nutrition. As a result, we reap more value from a bushel of corn than anyone.
In addition to biofuels, we've perfected the leading brand of premium dried distillers grains with solubles on the market, Dakota Gold®.