Mechanical Designer III
Virginia Beach, VA
The primary function of the Mechanical Designer III is to provide technical support and services to other groups within the engineering department. General areas of service include but not limited to mechanical design & drafting, system specification and production documentation. The Mechanical Designer III reports to and follows the instructions and directions of the Senior Systems Engineer.Works with limited supervision of Department Manager. A high degree of creativity and latitude is required.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Works with limited supervision of Department Manager. A high degree of creativity and latitude is required
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals;Performs a variety of tasks
- Creates complex configurable part models typically containing dozens of unique features with complex geometry
- Create advanced assembly models containing more than 1000 items total with 300 being unique and consisting of existing library parts along with newly developed parts
- Reviews, interprets and provides feedback on customer specifications mid-level vacuum systems
- Interprets hand sketches, Piping & Instrumentation Diagram/Drawing (P&ID) or marked up designs
- Reviews, interprets and provides feedback on customer specifications complex vacuum systems
- Creates P&ID's from limited verbal and written instructions
- Designs and develops layouts for complex vacuum systems
- Analyzes and understands various design requirements and recommends possible solutions or alternate constructions
- Define and specify any component from limited verbal and written instructions, provide multiple options that includes information on ability to meet specifications and impacts for cost and lead time
- Prepares initial mechanical design and generates documentation for checking purposes to insure customer specifications are met
- Provides leadership and training for peers
- Develops internal protocols and tools
- Utilizes software functionality to increase department efficiency
- Reviews peer's work for accuracy
- Collaborate with shop mechanic leads to establish best methods or practices for building of systems
Keyword: Designer, Solidworks, Mechanical
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Decision Making & Judgment - Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Mechanical Engineering, Drafting, or related field
6 to 8 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
6 plus years of experience in Mechanical Engineering, Drafting or related field
Piping Design – 2 to 4 years First-hand Knowledge of Industry standards, concepts, practices, and procedures. E.g. ASME, ANSI, NEMA
Mechanical Drafting – 6 to 8 years
SolidWorks – 800 hours of use on the job for every year of experience AutoCAD – 300 hours of use on the job for every year of experience
Technical Admin – 900 hours for every year of experience. (Research & Administration) Business Flow – 8 to 10 years
Flow & processes from order entry to shipping
Proficient computer skills including electronic mail and record keeping. SolidWorks 2015 or comparable 3D software, AutoCAD, Draftsight or comparable 2D software. Microsoft Office Products: Word – Advanced skills, develops templates, forms etc., Excel – Advanced table / matrix and formula creation., Access – Database entry and searching
Adobe Products – Creating & Redlining PDF's
Business Software such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) or Systems Applications and Products (SAP) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Systems
Certifications & Licenses:
Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional (CSWP) Certified SOLIDWORKS Expert (CSWE)
Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Weldments (CSWPA-WD)
Must maintain a current and vaild Driver's license to meet Busch insurance standards
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this position.
O (Occasionally) Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Position requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Manually Manipulate F
Reach Outward O
Reach Above Shoulder N
Squat or Kneel O
10 lbs or less O
11-20 lbs O
21-50 lbs N
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
12 lbs or less O
13-25 lbs N
26-40 lbs N
41-100 lbs N
Other Physical Requirements
- Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth)
- Sense of Sound - Must be able to hear emergency warning signals and mechanical machinery
- Sense of Touch
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - and other PPE as required
- Sense of Balance
- Safety glasses
- (EH) safety footwear
- Hearing protection
Heated and Air Conditioned Office and Shop Floor Environment.
From: Busch LLC