At Goal Zero, an NRG owned company; our mission is to empower people with a bright, safe, connected, and sustainable future by delivering smart, portable power solutions designed for everyone, everywhere. As the market leader in portable solar power, Goal Zero solar panels, power stations, and accessories give a new breed of consumers and outdoor enthusiasts the power to go farther, regardless of their gear s battery life. We invite you to join our adventure as the Mechanical Engineer.
Goal Zero Product Development is responsible for the design, development, validation, and early production for all products in our portfolio. We have a strong local team and we also work directly with our external partners to design and manufacture our products. We have expertise with lithium batteries, power electronics, and solar panels, with the goal of leading the portable power industry through innovation and quality, specifically focused on large portable power stations.
This posting is for a Mechanical Engineering position within our Engineering team and will report to the Product Development Manager for that team. The ideal candidate will have a strong passion for creating great products that empower people matched with engineering skills that gives users the best experience. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with strong communication skills and an extreme level of ownership on the outcome of their work and designs.
*Essential Duties & Responsibilities*
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work with Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, as well as sales and marketing to create functional, durable, and practical designs that will be desirable in the market on the full range of Goal Zero products
- Use skills to create plastic molded, metal, and electrical parts
- Use creativity when necessary to innovate solutions that may not have been done before
- Maintain design and manufacturing documentation for product lines
- Proactive in creating new design concepts and improving existing products
- Work with outside vendors to ensure products are manufacturable with best in class quality
- Work with Project Managers to make and keep commitments to achieve on-time milestones
*Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities*
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience, with an additional 5 years of directly relevant experience creating consumer products
- Strong skills in plastic and metal design for consumer products, with a strong eye for aesthetics and product quality, innovating to balance performance, quality, cost, and risk
- Strong 3D CAD modeling skills in SolidWorks, with rendering experience a plus
- Experience with injection mold and extrusion tooling design
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, to convey project status and technical information
- Extreme sense of ownership driving towards positive high priority outcomes (eg. quality and timeliness), not just executing on engineering tasks
- Open office environment Primary
- Evening and weekend work as job duties demand, especially in collaborating and syncing up with overseas partners
- Occasionally requires lifting up to 50lbs as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
- Domestic and International Travel up to 10% may be required
Goal Zero is committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster(The poster can be found athttp://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title, and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources.