As a member of the North American Central Engineering Group, the Mechanical Project Engineer will work on capital projects including new installations and modifications and is responsible for all mechanical equipment components and systems. This person must have extensive working knowledge of design, function, specification, and installation of mechanical equipment in a heavy manufacturing environment.
In order to be effective in this role, the person should have 5+ years of experience overseeing capital projects that include civil and structural design, developing specifications and installing material storage, handling, conveying, and processing equipment. This role can be assigned projects varying across plant locations, therefor up to 50% travel is required.
- Strong background in mechanical equipment specification - designing / sizing piping system, tanks, pumps, batching equipment, material storage silos, material transfer & conveying systems, grinding equipment, mixing systems, compressors, pumps, boilers, hydraulic / pneumatic systems, etc. that align with process / production requirements.
- Ability to develop a full scope of work for use in soliciting general contractor proposals including all site utilities, civil and structural works, buildings, process equipment and exterior paving.
- Ability to prepare request for quotation documentation, solicit / review bids and award contracts.
- Ability to prepare full project budgetary estimate and schedule.
- Ability to coordinate and lead design review meetings pertaining to process requirements, equipment design / layout, piping and instrumentation diagrams, utilities and HAZOP study.
- Ability to gather and disseminate design data to EH&S team for use in preparing permit applications.
- Ability to create detailed commissioning plans for use in equipment checkout and systems startup.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of International Building Codes and OSHA standards.
- Knowledge of AWS, ANSI, and ASTM standards.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma principles.
- Proficient with personal computers and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, Outlook, Internet Explorer and AutoCAD.
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to prepare and present information to senior management.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and a willingness to work independently.
- Must be able to multi-task, pay close attention to detail, and follow up regularly.
- Must take initiative and be results oriented.
- Must be able to lead and be a part of cross functional teams.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 50% of the time.
- BS Degree in Engineering. Mechanical Engineering preferred
- 5+ years of experience managing heavy industrial capital projects
- Experience working with municipalities and permitting agencies