Medical Assistant I - P
North East Medical Service
Daly City, CA
The Medical Assistant I is an unlicensed health professional and is primarily responsible for assisting patients throughout the routine visit and helping with health management. The Medical Assistant I works collaboratively with other health care members to provide comprehensive, quality and accessible health care services to patients under the supervision of a physician, nurse practitioner, LVN Team leader, clinic operations manager, registered nurse team leader, or clinic nurse manager, based on location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works closely with medical providers to provide comprehensive health care to patients
- Prepares for the patient visit in advance to ensure that all labs, diagnostics, hospital/ER discharge summary etc. are ready and available for the visit
- Assists in the provision of clinical services such as, but not limited to, taking vital signs; performing EKG, immunizations, skin tests, vision and hearing tests, and blood draws; and collects and prepares specimens as necessary
- Assists with clinical data measures and entry into the electronic health record including the patient’s height, weight, vital signs, BMI, etc.
- Assists medical providers in updating health maintenance checklist and patient’s health record in Nextgen, and confirms purpose of visit
- Operates various medical equipment, e.g., electrocardiogram, audiometry, bilimeter, glucometer, protime reader, pulse oximeter, and autoclave
- Injects, handles, or provides vaccines and medications to patients after verifying with RN team leader or medical provider
- Measures and describes TB skin test reaction, and refers to medical provider if any reactions exceeding thresholds
- Prepares exam rooms before and after each patient in accordance with NEMS policy and OSHA guidelines, including restocking of exam rooms, operatory, and sterilizes instruments
- Assists providers during physical examinations, treatments, and procedures as requested
- Assists in discharging the patient at the completion of the office visit including going over the printed office visit summary; aids in the completion of medication, laboratory, and radiology orders; provides patient education information ordered by the provider; answers any final logistical questions the patient may have
- Arranges for hospital admission or ER visit as required
- Makes appropriate referrals to other departments within the agency as well as to outside agencies
- Refers to a registered nurse or a medical provider for any telephone or drop-in triaging cases
- Assists in checks of completeness of provider’s work
- Assists patients in ambulation and transfers
- Completes forms required for different programs, e.g., pharmacy, authorization, and referral forms
- Responsible to track and follow up on patients with continuing health care needs such as, but not limited to, health screening, breast, cervical, prostate, glucose, cholesterol, etc.
- Rotates to other clinic sites or medical departments as required
- Performs other job duties as required by manager/supervisor
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Medical Assistant certificate (CMA) from an accredited school required.
- Documentation and completion of 160 hours of externship or 1 year of work experience working as a Medical Assistant required.
- Type at least 35 w.p.m.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Current documentation of Basic Life Support is required.
- Must be proficient in computer usage Microsoft Office and EMR (Nextgen is a plus)
- Must be able to fluently speak, read and write English.
- Fluent in Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin), Vietnamese, Spanish and other languages may be required depending on location.
- Fluency in other languages are an asset.
This is an FLSA non-exempt position.
This is an OSHA high-risk position.
NEMS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer welcoming diversity in our workforce. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
NEMS BENEFITS: Competitive benefits, including free medical, dental and vision insurance for employee, spouse and/or children; and company contribution to 401(k).