At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
PositionSummary: The Medical Assistant performs a variety of direct and indirect activities in caring for the personal and comfort needs of patients according to Standards, Policies and procedures of Nashoba Valley Medical Center. He/she reports to the Clinical Manager.
Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span in assisting with the treatment of patients.
- Escorts patients from the waiting room into main treatment area in courteous manner as directed by the staff nurse.
- Assists in transfer of patients from ambulance bay to treatment area.
- Assists patients in transferring from wheelchair to stretcher, chair to stretcher or vice versa.
- Performs postmortem care according to nursing policy and procedure.
- Notifies Nurse of patients wishing or attempting to leave ED prior to completion of treatment.
- Accurately obtains postural vital signs.
- Independently performs the following procedures upon direction of staff nurse: uncomplicated dressing application or changes; cleansing of wounds; irrigation of wounds; application of splints, braces, immobilizes, ace wraps, cockup splints and ice.
- Assembles crutches, properly measures patients and instructs patient in correct crutch walking techniques.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve technical difficulties associated with accurately obtaining a 12 lead EKG.
- Acts as a chaperone as requested in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Maintains aseptic technique when assisting RN's /MD's with sterile procedures.
- Transports patients without delay to other departments prn according to safety guidelines.
- Escorts patients to psychiatric inpatient units as directed by RN.
- Prepares patient including dressing and undressing as appropriate, for examination or procedure.
- Secures/collect patient's personal effects for safe keeping.
- Offers comfort measures such as pillows, blankets, H2O etc. as appropriate
- Obtains laboratory specimens accurately.
- Reinforces instructions in the proper collection method for specific specimens.
- Performs phlebotomy correctly as per Laboratory/ ED Protocol.
- Obtains specimens including urine for analysis, culture, splits, dipstick for blood and stool cultures.
- Correctly labels and completes requisitions on all specimens.
- Transport ABG's and other lab specimens as needed in a timely manner.
- Ordering and maintenance of supplies and equipment
- Orders supplies to maintain inventory of supply closets/cabinets in Treatment area and CPEC at par level.
- Stocks all the alcoves and IV baskets in treatment area, CPEC and ambulance bay with medical supplies and laundry at least twice per shift and PRN.
- Checks expiration dates on all items; replaces out-dated items and labels newly opened bottles with "date opened" per procedure.
- Reports missing or defective equipment to charge nurse.
- Universal Precautions/Infection Control.
- Cleans and soaks instruments in appropriate solution per procedures of Department and Hospital.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions procedures in all patient care activities.
- Cleans room and stretchers after each visit and prepares the room for the next patient.
- Answers telephone, stating Name and Department.
- Forwards phone calls to appropriate person or takes a message.
- Enters requisition using the Meditech System.
- Accurately enters data such as vital signs and performed technical tasks into the medical record according to department policy.
- Applies wrist/ankle restraints and posey jackets correctly.
- Demonstrates ability to apply and check for safety of 4-point locked restraints.
- Monitors patients for safety including suicide precautions and elopement risk management as directed by the RN.
- Accurately identifies signs of escalating/disturbed behavior in-patients requiring 1:1 monitoring and informs nurse of above signs immediately.
- Maintains stretchers in locked, low position with side rails up when patients are unattended and keeps potentially harmful objects out of patient reach.
- Demonstrates proper utilization of body mechanics in all patient care activities.
- Immediately responds to fire alarms, disaster drills in accordance with ED procedures.
- Daily checks suction equipment in assigned alcoves for proper functioning and cleanliness, and changes tubing and equipment PRN.
- Assists in providing safety, under the direction and supervision of the assigned RN, for the patient determined to be at risk.
- Remains in constant attendance of patient, keeping patient within sight at all times. Leaves patient room only when directed by the nurse.
- Observes and reports patient behavior, requests, and information to the RN assigned to the patient.
- Immediately summons the nurse to report any changes in patient.
- Maintains a safe environment by assuring that only approved items are accessible to the patient.
- Basic life support activities
- Maintains continual BLS certification.
- Properly performs cardiac compression.
- Demonstrates proper utilization of rebreathing apparatus.
- During code situations follows direction of "code" charge nurse and anticipates needs of "code" team members.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Experience as an ED Tech or other patient care role within health care setting, inpatient or outpatient preferred
EMT, Paramedic, Certified Medical Assistant, or enrolled in Nursing Program with at least one (l) semester completed preferred.
Current BLS through either AHA or Red Cross required.