Collects blood/urine/swabs specimens from patients of all ages and processes specimens appropriately for delivery to testing department. Performs and results a variety of waived point-of-care testing including quality control. Interprets and inputs all laboratory orders into computer system for outpatient testing. Determines medical necessity and interprets orders that have a diagnosis that does not support the testing ordered. Qualifications
- High school graduate required.
- ASCP Phlebotomy Certification preferred, not required.
- Experience preferred, not required
- Knowledge of use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Customer-service oriented.
- Good communication skills required.
- Basic medical terminology helpful.
- Strong typing and computer skills necessary.
- Ability to accurately follow directions and perform specific functions.
- May be exposed to potentially infectious diseases.
- Accurately identify and obtain blood specimens from patients of all ages, employees, etc. as requested by authorized personnel (i.e. physicians, nurses, residents). Ensure specimen integrity by adhering to appropriate laboratory collection protocols. Ensures that all specimens received from client and physician offices are documented against packing lists and follows up with the site in the event all specimens are not received.
- Participates in the collection of special procedures (ISP, drug screens, EBT, cultures, RSV's, research studies, bone marrows, capillary collections, etc.). Assist non-laboratory personnel with specimen requirements and collection procedures.
- Carry and actively use a Vocera appropriately as well as carry a surgery phone.
- Able to work independently in multiple locations and be flexible depending on staffing needs.
- Verify that appropriate specimen containers are received for the lab testing ordered. Verify that patient information matches and attach barcode to biological specimen container.
- Assist in the set-up and/or performance of waived point-of-care testing.
- Monitor daily phlebotomy actions by the use of various computer programs and logs (ORV, collection list, will call board, etc.). Maintains specimen tracking by correctly logging in all outpatient and floor samples with the correct time of specimen collection.
- Participates in the orientation and/or training of personnel as directed by administrative staff, supervisor, or other authorized personnel.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to MHS's Code of Conduct and HIPAA standards. Ensure proper release forms are completed for testing results and billing purposes.
- Display a positive attitude and personal commitment to excellence. Report to work on time and display acceptable standards for attendance.
- Correctly enter patient demographic and billing information into the hospital admitting system. Understands insurance policy numbers and carrier codes. Verifies diagnosis with test order for medicare reimbursement.
- Perform test order entry and cancellations requested by authorized personnel using proper documentation.
- Maintains Phlebotomy and clerical areas in a clean and orderly manner. Order and maintain supplies and keep areas stocked accordingly.
- Maintains productivity at a rate comparable to other experienced staff (6-8 patients per hour).
- Assists other phlebotomists with difficult draws and assist inpatient phlebotomy when called upon.
- Ensure that professional and personal activities conform to Memorial Medical Center's strategic plan and Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Inputs all faxed orders into the lab orders database, questioning any illegible order, calls physician's office with clarification of test order and patient demographics and order request (standing or one time).
- Communicates telephone or verbal messages effectively to appropriate lab divisions, personnel or administrative staff. Provides effective communication to the outpatient either in person or by telephone. Gives patient test results to nursing units and physician offices in accordance with medical center policies either verbally or by fax communication.
- Begin training as a Medical Laboratory Assistant II at supervisor's discretion.