Network and Telecommunications Field Engineer
Arcata Associates, Inc.
Las Vegas, NV
This position supports a wide variety of operational systems that provide data distribution, transport, monitoring, and application processing. As a Field Engineer, this position requires experience leading individuals and projects to test, implement, maintain, and manage assigned systems. Technical knowledge of assigned systems and ability to research solutions is required to successfully perform assigned duties.
- Assist in design, plan, and implementing LANs and WANs using the latest technologies.
- Identify and troubleshoot hardware and software technical problems related to network LANs/WANs
- Leads installation teams (including vendors), participates in planning meetings identifies tasks, material, tools, equipment required to complete the effort.
- Develop and maintain Network and telecommunications system level and site documentation/configuration (includes information assurance controls).
- Apply a broad and in-depth working knowledge of DoD IT network infrastructure to a wide variety of assignments through the application of technical concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Provision computer system applications through consulting with application developers and vendors. Work with vendors and support services to resolve application and equipment failures or performance problems.
- Perform equipment installations, including racking and stacking, cable pulls, cable terminations and cable testing; equipment installation including ancillary items. May include network routers, switches, firewalls, and crypto and communications devices
- Troubleshoot and resolve installation issues and discrepancies. Work with Quality Assurance and Configuration Management to meet documented standards.
- Conducts tests or diagnostics requiring selection and adaptation of a wide variety of test equipment and test procedures; sets up and operates equipment; records data, measures and records problems of significant complexity that sometimes require resolution at a higher level; and analyzes data and prepares test reports.
- Supports engineering integration testing in a lab environment to reduce schedule and risk during system deployment.
- Support regression testing of network systems and software. Work with other engineers to develop and execute systems and service migration plans.
- Support the configuration and operations of a regression test lab.
Other Related Duties:
Other duties as required.
Education and Experience: A combination of formal education, certifications, and experience will be evaluated against job duties.
At least four years of applicable engineering process experience and four years of experience performing network, telecommunications, and application systems integration in a lead role.
- 4+years of experience including racking and stacking equipment, cable pulls, cable terminations and cable testing
- 3 + years of experience installing and configuring Cisco and Juniper network routers, switches, and firewalls.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for this Position:
- Working knowledge of Juniper and Cisco device configuration for layer 2, layer 3 and MPLS transport. Experience with multiple protocols including OSPF, BGP, RSVP and LDP.
- Scripting and experience with multiple operating systems desired. Knowledge of Linux (FreeBSD) systems is a plus.
- Circuit transition expertise, understanding of protocols for testing and managing circuit downtime.
- Working knowledge of Systems Engineering principles and processes.
- Knowledge of firewall operations, fiber optic transport, date encryption, IP Telephony, IP multicast applications (e.g., video) and data radios is a plus.
- Understanding of Network and telecommunications principles and equipment, antennas, frequency management, grounding principles and power.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security Controls as they apply to U.S. government systems a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience and ability to document technical systems (drawings and technical documents).
- Must be able to communicate technical issues in an assertive and tactful manner.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
Duties are performed both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor duties may be performed on ladders, roofs, towers, and platforms. Traveling to Range locations which involves exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions for prolonged periods; work on uneven surfaces and varying types of outdoor terrain. Ability to perform shift work, at remote locations with occasional over-night assignments. The noise level on the Ranges varies from quiet to moderately noisy.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Must possess a valid Nevada driver's license.
Ability to obtain and maintain a Government Security Clearance.
Arcata Associates is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.