The Seattle Times
The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for an experienced News Producer to join our newsroom. As the News Producer, you will develop, edit and format content for Seattle Times digital products with an emphasis on audience engagement and seek innovative ways to tell and promote stories. This individual is a core member of our digital audience team and plays a crucial role in maintaining our connections with readers as well as drawing in new ones. The successful candidate will be a big-picture thinker who also pays attention to detail, has expertise in web and mobile analytics, is a strong communicator, loves problem-solving, champions diversity, equity and inclusion in coverage, and exhibits nimbleness, diplomacy, productivity, news judgment, sensitivity and taste.
Some weekend work required. Shifts are Sunday through Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday, which may include early morning, afternoon, or evening hours.
- Curating and producing the seattletimes.com homepage and other parts of the website.
- Sending news alerts, including email, desktop and mobile push notifications.
- Posting Seattle Times content to social media and engaging with readers.
- Monitoring trends and readership analytics in real time.
- Providing accurate and timely news updates during breaking news.
- Endorsing and supporting efforts to provide inclusive coverage to reach our audience.
- Considering and suggesting ways to include voices from under-represented communities.
- Working closely with all departments across the newsroom on story planning and promotion.
- Participating in discussions of newsroom digital and social media strategies.
- Strategizing and implementing the adoption of digital best practices across the newsroom.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your Cover Letter.
- Experience: At least two years of professional experience preferred in a related position, such as Digital Editor, Engagement Specialist, Content Manager or related role.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism/communication or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Previous professional experience working in digital news media.
- Familiarity with tools for web publishing and analytics, such as WordPress or Chartbeat.
- Expertise in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media.
- Native-level fluency with the web, social-media savvy and a deep understanding of how people consume information on multiple devices and platforms.
- Strong knowledge of AP style, news judgment and journalistic ethics.
- Must be able and willing to work a variable schedule.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.