Nurse Practitioner, Adult Diabetes (Joslin Diabetes Center)
Joslin Diabetes Center
The Nurse Practitioner (Adult Diabetes) will serve as an integral member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team to provide quality, evidence based diabetes care, to an inpatient and outpatient adult population.
Using the nursing process and employing advanced skills and theory in health assessment, physical examination, interpretation of laboratory and other diagnostic tools, the Nurse Practitioner develops and implements a plan of care for patients with episodic and chronic healthcare needs. The Nurse Practitioner makes judgments relative to diagnosis and management independently, utilizing physician and other team member consultation where appropriate. Professional growth and diversity are encouraged including participation in clinic initiatives and specialty clinics.
The Nurse Practitioner will provide care in ambulatory and inpatient settings. The work schedule includes regular weekly inpatient on weekends, in addition to weekdays in the outpatient clinic.
- Using the nursing process and employing advanced skills and theory in health assessment, physical examination, interpretation of laboratory and other diagnostic tools, develops and implement a plan of care for patients with episodic and chronic healthcare needs, according to professional and organizational standards for quality and productivity.
- Demonstrates critical thinking in the diagnostic process
- Establishes priorities to meet health and medical needs
- Prescribes medications within written guidelines for practice
- Documents data in the medical record in a clear, concise manner.
- Monitors the individual’s response to therapy and revises the plan as indicated, with particular attention to education, counseling, and encouragement of self-care.
- Provides seeks consultation to/from the consulting physician and other members of the healthcare team as indicated by patient need. Provides written communication about diagnostic/screening procedures to the patient and other team members as appropriate.
- Identifies a process with consulting/supervising physician to insure prescriptive practice is reviewed according to regulatory requirements
- Provides care in a manner that also incorporates the principles of patient satisfaction and cost effective care.
As a member of the medical team, will share the responsibilities on a proportionate basis with back-up physician support as needed.
- M.S.N. and current certification to practice as a Nurse Practitioner from an accredited/recognized certifying body.
- Minimum of one year's experience working as a Nurse Practitioner required. Experience in diabetes care preferred.
- Current license (or eligibility) to practice as a Nurse Practitioner in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by the Board of Registration in Nursing.
- Valid DEA and MCS numbers for prescription writing practices
- Has obtained or is in the process of obtaining provider numbers from all insurance carriers that currently contract nurse practitioners (Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross/Blue Shield etc.)
Joslin values diversity and inclusion, and we encourage diversity applicants.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
About the Company
Joslin Diabetes Center
Joslin Diabetes Center is an internationally recognized diabetes care, research and education institution affiliated with Harvard Medical School and headquartered in Boston, MA. Joslin is a non-profit organization dedicated to finding a cure for diabetes and improving the lives of people with diabetes through its cutting edge basic and clinical research, patient care programs for children and adults, and through programs and publications that improve the care of diabetes worldwide.
Since its founding in 1898, Joslin Diabetes Center has constantly evolved to meet the ever-changing challenges of diabetes. Joslin Diabetes Center is an institution on the front lines of the world epidemic of diabetes, leading the battle to conquer diabetes in all of its forms through cutting-edge research and innovative approaches to clinical care and education.
Joslin Diabetes Center is the only diabetes institution in the world that goes beyond a single focus. With efforts in these three critical areas, a synergy develops: researchers, clinicians and educators collaborate in ways that produce cutting-edge scientific discovery, unique clinical care models and pioneering educational strategies. This one-of-a-kind framework has an impact on people with diabetes locally, nationally and across the globe.
As the science and practice of medicine continues to evolve, Joslin's core mission endures. Every person at Joslin is dedicated to realizing our vision of a world without diabetes and its complications. We will achieve this vision through a relentless pursuit of our stated mission: To prevent, treat, and cure diabetes.