OD Tech Optometric Technician
Schedule appointments, verify insurance coverage, maintain accurate patient records, and assist with preliminary testing under the Optometrist’s supervision. Educate patients on lens insertion and removal and overall care of contact lenses. Able to effectively sell and meet or exceed all sales goals
1. Schedule appointments according to the SOP Appointment Scheduling/Check-In guidelines, including next year’s appointment.
2. Efficient in recommending patients fill out paperwork on-line and importing patient information from web daily.
3. Confirm the schedule: call appointments the day before to confirm the appointment time. Contact/reschedule no shows and cancellations.
4. Pull all charts for the next day’s appointments; scan/shred (if necessary) set-up color folders.
5. Has complete understanding of MVC plans and is able to articulate plans to customers and patients.
6. Preauthorize insurance day before appointment; .Reconciles all exceptions pre-closing using 35 report.
7. Handle patients’ FLOW efficiently. Answer patients’ questions, check patients in and out, collect payments, monitor and perform other front desk tasks as needed. Able to perform duties related to EMR proficiently. Maintain complete and accurate patient records according to SOP standards.
8. Perform preliminary testing data collection as directed utilizing Patient Flow form and entering in EMR
9. Instruct patients on the insertion, removal, cleaning, care and proper handling of their contact lenses.
10. Order (regular and trials), stock, notify patients when their contact lenses are available for dispensing, dispense contact lenses and eyewear using SERVE.
11. Recall patients daily using POS recall system; call and appt. goals met daily.
12. Able to effectively sell and meet or exceed all sales goals
13. Clean and maintain equipment and instruments in the optometric area and cover equipment nightly as well as supply inventories and ensure inventory is not expired
14. Other duties as assigned by management to include cross training, support of retail floor, etc.
· One (1) year of related experience
· Optical preferred
· HS diploma, GED or equivalent related job experience
· Communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret insurance forms
· Work changing schedules to meet business demands
· Work inside location
· Strong organization
· Speak clearly and effectively
· Calculate, manipulate, and interpret numbers/data
· Read English
· Problem solve/ reasoning
· Meet customer expectations
· Work under stress with interruptions and deadlines
· Follow procedures and instructions
· Use computer effectively and view computer screen
· Attention to detail
· Exhibit empathy in all interactions
· Manage location effectively
· Reach above shoulder continuously
Training Requirements (where applicable)
· Must complete company training programs within the required time frame
· Cross training in all departments as needed
Essential Responsibilities related to Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to stand, use hands and fingers to handle, feel, pick or pinch, and talk or hear most of the time. The associate is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The noise level in this location is moderate (use of computers, printers and machines).
Essential Responsibilities related to Behavioral Characteristics:
· Must be detail orientated and well organized
· Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other associates and clients
· Must be energetic and self-motivated
· Must be a team player
· Must be able to problem solve
· Must be able to multi-task
· Medical Office/business professionalism required
· Ability to work onsite and participate in interactive onsite meetings on a regular and predictable basis
· Ability to initiate immediate interaction, coordination and collaboration with team members, clients, customers etc.
HIPAA & Security Requirements
All Associates must comply with the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as it pertains to disclosures of protected health information (PHI) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures. As a component of job roles and responsibilities, Associates may have access to covered information, cardholder data or other confidential customer information which must be protected at all times. As a result, Associates must explicitly adhere to all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Privacy & Security Training Program.
Visionworks is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, ethnicity, disability or veteran status, or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. As required by changing business needs, complete additional essential responsibilities as identified and assigned.
About the Company
Visionworks has been a retailer that cares deeply about providing fashionable, quality eyewear and comprehensive eye examinations to every customer that comes to find their perfect vision and perfect frame. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, Visionworks is one of the largest retail optical chains in the U.S., operating 723 locations in 40 states and the District of Columbia.
With a strong emphasis on the importance of regular, annual eye exams, Visionworks encourages the health and wellness of every customer. With the ability to diagnose vision acuity and detect common health problems like diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol, Visionworks believes the health of one’s eyes should be a top priority. And with qualified doctors at or near every location, Visionworks is prepared to deliver needed eye exams for all those looking to care for their eye health.
Whether providing eye exams or showcasing the thousands of frame choices in-store and online, Visionworks provides a comprehensive eyewear buying experience. With dozens of styles from both top fashion brands and Visionworks’ exclusive lines of frames, Visionworks is as much about fashion as health. Visionworks carries frames tailored to every age range and style, from on-trend styles for the working professional to the largest selection of kids’ frames. The Visionworks calling is to make sure that every customer that enters a Visionworks store, leaves with the best possible vision, and a style that fits their self-expression.