As a member of the North American Central Engineering Group the Packaging Engineer develops new processes and improves existing process for handling, and packaging fiber cement products. This person must have extensive working knowledge of design, function, specification and installation of large scale conveying and packaging equipment in a heavy manufacturing environment.
The ideal person should have 5+ years of experience specifying and installing capital projects that include developing budgets, writing capital expenditures, and overseeing mid to large construction projects from inception through startup. To be effective in this role this individual must have hands on engineering experience with high speed material handling equipment, highly automated packaging (robotic palletizing etc.), and adhesive/coatings/film application.
This role will be based in Fontana CA. Projects will occur across all US operating plants and therefore require up to 50% travel.
- Scale up of process design as required to meet production need including sizing process equipment
- Oversite of mechanical and electrical design including plant layout, equipment arrangement, instrumentation, plant utilities; Preparation of P&I drawings, and equipment lists
- Develop specifications and purchase mechanical equipment and systems including process equipment, material handling equipment, complex machinery, fluid systems (hydraulic, pneumatic, and high pressure water), material conveyance systems, dust collection systems, storage silos, tanks, pumps, and valves.
- Develop specifications and purchase automation components to align with company standards and best practices, includin PLC system hardware, sensors, machine safety equipment, drives and motor controllers, field instruments, control valves, and HMI software & hardware
- Procurement of quotations for equipment and installation, preparation of overall project estimate, implementation schedule, and Capital Expenditure Request for submission to senior leadership.
- Bid and award contracts, supervision of the installation of structures, mechanical, and electrical equipment and systems
- Coordinate with corporate EH&S group to prepare operating permits; satisfy other permit requirements including local building codes and FM.
- Supervision of the mechanical system checkout, equipment startup, and turnover to plant.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Mechanical Building Codes and OSHA standards.
- Knowledge of Equipment and Machine Design Standards and Specifications including AWS, ANSI, and ASTM (preferred).
- Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of personal computers including word processing and spreadsheets (Microsoft Word and Excel, Project, Power Point, Outlook, and Internet Explorer).
- Developed a familiarity with and ability to work in AutoCAD drawing software including the ability to view and print drawings and make changes. Advanced drawing skills are preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and continual diligence about follow-up.
- Strong desire to learn.
- Well organized, with the ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to lead and be a part of cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, work independently, and perform at a high level with little supervision
- Familiarity with best-practices principles such as Six Sigma Total Quality Management (TQM) preferred.
- Role is based in Fontana, CA - Up to 50% travel.
- BS Degree in Engineering. Mechanical or Electrical preferred
- 5-10 or more years of experience designing and installing packaging equipment in an industrial manufacturing environment (sheeted process systems such as paper, steel, gypsum is preferred).
- Project Management Experience; Demonstrated Successful Execution including design and specification, purchase, installation, and startup of mechanical equipment.
- Experience with complex machinery and mechanical equipment
- Experience with electrical systems and controls
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.