The purpose of a paramedic position is to provide basic and advanced life support and emergency medical techniques to those in need of assistance. Participating in continuing education and training relative to medical and industry advancements in vital to succeeding in this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Respond to BLS and ALS emergent and non-emergent transports and scene calls
- Provide high quality, routine and emergent basic and advanced life support, in accordance with CA Title 22, local scope of practice and PT-1 policy.
- Provide comprehensive assessments of ill and/or injured patients, invasive airway management, cardiac monitoring and administration of medications on scene and/or in route to hospital or receiving facility
- Perform a complete assessment on every scene or transport patient, including but not limited to determining if the patient is appropriate to move, safest method of movement and the most appropriate destination for the patient
- Professional liaison with members of other agencies and facilities, such as police, fire, hospitals, senior living facilities and other ambulance services to ensure the appropriate level of response and service is provided
- Interact professionally with members of the public and/or family members present at the scene or in the general community.
- Clean, decontaminate and check vehicles and equipment to maintain a state of operational readiness
- Thoroughly document all patient history, condition, assessments and interventions preformed as well as the patient responses on the patient care record.
- Responsible for other related duties deemed necessary to meet the needs of the Company
- Confidence and accepting the challenge and high degree of responsibility entailed in this position
- Excellent clinical judgment and critical thinking skills
- Possess analytical skills and the capability of applying them effectively in stressful situations
- Ability to prioritize decisions and act quickly in the best interest of the patient
- Ability to act independently in a constantly changing environment
- Maintain composure while working in stressful situations
- Capable of adapting to situations that may contain violence and emotional instability in a multicultural setting
- Successfully pass a background investigation
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen
- Must be able to provide a current negative PPD test results
- Must have a clean DMV record
- Must be 18 years of age
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Must demonstrate a compassionate attitude towards all customers, their friends and family, and your coworkers
- Must maintain current industry standards through continuing education
- Must have the following certifications:
- AHA CPR (Instructor-based with AED)
- California Paramedic Card, current
- Medical Examiner’s Card (DL-51)
- California Driver License
- California Ambulance Driver License
- County Accreditation Card
- AHA PALS or PHTLS
- AHA ACLS
- ITLS or PHTLS
- Any other County specific required certifications
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Walk - frequently, up to 10 hours per day.
- Run - infrequently, 1-2 minutes per day.
- Stand - frequently, up to 10 hours per day.
- Sit - frequently, up to 8 hours per day.
- Kneel - frequently, 10-15 times per day.
- Bend - frequently, 10-15 times per day.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, carry 250 Lbs. infrequently (1-3 times per shift)
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, carry 150 Lbs. frequently (5-10 times per shift)
- Must have ability to step up and/ or climb over obstacles
- Must be able to climb stairs while carrying up to 150 Lbs.
- Must have adequate hearing acuity to perform job tasks (as delineated in California DMV DL51 medical examination requirements)
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly distinguish colors, shapes, distances, etc. (as delineated in California DMV DL51 medical examination requirements)
- Must have adequate hand and finger dexterity to grip and hold both large and small items
- Must have adequate hand and arm strength to grip and lift heavy objects
- Must be able to tolerate work in an outdoor environment (heat, cold, rain, etc.)