The Payroll and Equity Manager will play a key role in leading the payroll and equity functions. This role will be responsible for the daily administration of the equity programs and review of payroll. This position will require effective collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders. The individual will need to be a self-starter in a very dynamic environment with the ability to continuously improve current processes and scale business operations to support organizational growth.
- Partner with key stakeholders in our Finance, Accounting, Legal, and HR teams to ensure timely and accurate record-keeping for payroll and equity programs.
- Manage a third-party payroll preparer and review the completeness and accuracy of payroll, including review of new hires, terminations, and master-data changes against source documents.
- Administer equity plans, including the processing of all employee stock transactions.
- Oversee the administration of the company's 401(K) retirement plan, including the processing of employee deferrals, loan repayments, and other transactions as well as all required reporting and compliance activities.
- Reconcile the payments to benefit providers with benefit enrollment data from HR
- Ensure payroll and equity records/processes maintain compliance with applicable laws and company policies.
- In collaboration with IT, implement systems for payroll & benefits and equity processes and identify opportunities to automate recordkeeping procedures.
- Prepare all journal entries and reconciliations for payroll, benefits, and stock compensation.
- Prepare or review tax-related documents for payroll and equity transactions.
- Manage payroll-related tax registration, EDD, and workers' compensation audits.
- Prepare the supporting documents for 3rd party valuation if needed
- Support internal and external auditors by preparing timely PBC requests and responding to questions.
- Comply with company policies, including the performance of internal control procedures with high-quality documentation.
- Assist with reporting materials for internal and external parties.
- Identify and implement new processes to optimize efficiencies within the payroll and equity-related processes.
- Other projects as directed by the manager.
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- 10 + years of a combination of payroll and stock administrator experience.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interact professionally and effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Experience with U.S. federal and state taxation.
- Demonstrated professionalism, reliability, flexibility, attention to detail, and an ability to maintain strict privacy of confidential financial data.
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment.
- Pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience preferred.
- Experience working in a global and/or public company preferred.