Responsible for working with members on personal fitness programs, performing regular member service and maintenance functions in the Wellness Center in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Recommend and perform personal training sessions for all clients.
- Recommend fitness evaluations for all clients.
- Recommend and perform exercise prescriptions for all members.
- Help to train new Wellness staff. Provide recommendations to supervisor regarding recruiting, scheduling and evaluation of Health & Wellness staff.
- Assist to develop wellness-based programs and events.
- Schedule wellness appointments and evaluations at necessary intervals. Phone no-show appointments to reschedule.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. Be alert, friendly and responsive to participants.
- Ensure a safe program environment.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person's point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Associates degree preferred.
- One nationally recognized certification required. This could include ACE, NATA, AFAA, ACSM, Y-USA Strength & Conditioning trainer or equivalent.
- Required certifications: CPR with AED and First Aid within 90 days of employment. Successfully complete the YMCA New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training within 60 days of employment.
- Must obtain Y-USA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles within 180 days of employment.
- At least one year of experience in personal training is required.
- Ability to conduct wellness activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties