City of St. Charles, MO
St Charles, MO
December 28, 2020
Closing Date for Resumes/Applications
Open Until Filled
Potential bonus available pending approved funding
Lateral Pay based on experience
Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance; FSA; Retirement Benefits; Paid Vacation; Paid Holidays; Employee Assistance Programs and Educational Benefits.
Physical Fitness and Written Testing Date
*invitation to come electronically with
logistical information and confirmed date
The City of Saint Charles Police Department is seeking to establish an eligibility list for full time Police Officers to perform police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related law enforcement duties. Police Officers work under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant. Prior to accepting employment, applicants should ensure tattoos/brands that would be visible, arms or legs, while wearing uniform apparel inclusive of short sleeve shirts and/or shorts, as well as civilian attire, are approved by the Chief of Police using SCPD form 452 included with the application packet. Tattoos/brands on the head, neck, hands are not allowed. The Department reserves the right to require any tattoo to be covered (long sleeves) or removed (at employees expense) as a condition of employment.
The testing and selection process includes a physical agility test, written exam, oral interviews, background investigation, pre-employment polygraph examination and drug testing, post-offer medical examination, polygraph examination and psychological evaluation. The physical agility test will include some of the following:
- Run 200yds
- Jump over 1.5ft obstacle
- Jump/Climb a 4 ft barrier/fence
- Run Up/Down stairs
- Duck under 4ft obstacle
- Dummy drag for 20 ft
- Get up from fall maneuver
- Must be able to complete obstacle in 1:30 seconds
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and/or assigned.
- Conducts Law Enforcement patrols within the City to preserve the peace, enforce the law, control vehicle and pedestrian traffic, prevent, deter, and investigate reports of violations of law, while promoting the safety and security of the public.
- Acts as a First Responder to emergency and other calls for service and takes appropriate action to mitigate injury, damage, and safeguard property.
- Conducts follow-up investigations of crimes to include questioning victims, witnesses, suspects, and gathering of physical evidence.
- Prepares all reports and records as required by departmental policy in a professional manner and appears in Court as required.
- Assists citizens with stalled vehicles, directions, crime prevention, drug awareness and traffic safety.
- Coordinates enforcement activities within the department and with other agencies as required.
- Consults with and exchanges information with officers, the City Attorney, County Prosecutor's Office and others as required to ensure timely and effective prosecution of cases.
- Consults with police supervisory staff to coordinate investigation and enforcement activity.
- Carries out all duties in conformance with Federal, State, County, and City laws and ordinances, and in compliance with departmental rules, regulations and code of conduct.
- Maintains normal availability by radio for emergency and routine calls for service.
- Must have the ability to work all shift hours including rotating shifts as required in all types of weather for prolonged periods of time.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- High school Diploma or GED required.
- Associates Degree, 60 college credit hours from an accredited university or college, or three (3) years' experience as a full time commissioned Police Officer, or an honorable discharge from the United States military.
- Must have the ability to practice law enforcement duties in a first class county and city as prescribed by the Missouri Department of Public Safety required.
- Minimum 21 years of age at the time of employment.
- Ability to obtain by date of hire a valid drivers' license without record of suspension or revocation in any state.
- US Citizenship as required by section 590.030 of RSMo.
Online employment applications can be accessed on our City Website: www.stcharlescitymo.gov
Qualified applicants will be notified by e-mail of required testing dates for physical/written examinations. An 'acknowledgement' of this e-mail is required to proceed in the process.
The City of Saint Charles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in e-verify