Are you looking for a meaningful career that has a positive impact on the community? If you answered yes, come join the Sparks Police Department! We proudly display “Where Community Comes First” on the police vehicles, a motto developed by our front lines. While carrying out the vision to implement innovative strategies to prevent crime, promote excellence in leadership and serve the community, you will also receive a generous and competitive salary, benefit package,tuition reimbursement, bilingual pay (when applicable) and retirement plan. People who come to Sparks stay in Sparks. It’s more than a job – it’s a career that offers special assignments, continuing education and promotional opportunities. Apply here to start the process.
Not sure if you have what it takes? There are resources for you!
Police applicants are required to complete a Civil Service Exam. The Exam is composed of three different sections: a physical abilities exam, a written exam and an oral board exam. To practice, see the guide below:
Are you ready to take the next step? If so, take a look at these Application Tips:
- Prepare for the Physical Abilities Exam by understanding exactly what is on the test. NV POST offers physical fitness programs developed for candidates to assess and improve fitness levels in preparation for the test and academy: http://post.nv.gov/Training/POST_Academy/Physical_Fitness/
- Practice Runs are held by the Police Department for candidates who complete an application. Once you apply, keep an eye on your email for updates on the next one.
- Prepare for the Written Exam: Purchase a low cost study guide or sample test here: hpps://www.ApplyToServe.com/Study/ OR contact your local community college or library for test preparation assistance and aides.
- Oral Board Exam: We want to get to know you and why you are looking for this opportunity. Practice and prepare to answer interview style questions about yourself.
This is a CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT, meaning that applications are accepted year round. You may submit one application in a 365 day period.Civil Service Examination
- Fill out the online application completely.
- The Qualifications section below is your cheat sheet to understand what the recruiter is looking for on your application. Use this to your advantage.
- One step is eliminated for you! Do not attach resumes or cover letters. The City of Sparks is not collecting or reviewing these items with the application.
- **NEW** Don't forget to enable TEXT messaging in your application before you hit submit! This feature will allow the recruiter to send you reminders as your test date approaches.
Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will receive an e-mail invitation to schedule their Civil Service Exam. The first test day includes the physical abilities test and written test. Candidates who successfully pass the physical and written will be invited to the third section, the Oral Board, at a later date via email.POLICE OFFICER TEST DATES
Saturday, January 16, 2021SPRING 2021
Saturday, March 13, 2021SUMMER 2021
Saturday, June 12, 2021FALL 2021
Saturday, August 14, 2021
For all test dates, applications must be received by Noon (PST) on the Monday before the test date to be considered for that test. Please note that there is a capacity limit per test date, apply as soon as possible in order to have the best chance to schedule your preferred test date. Candidates who pass the Civil Service Exam (all three sections)
will be placed on an eligibility that will be good for up to one year. The department will call candidates from that list as vacancies arise. Those candidates that successfully complete the interview step will move onto the background step. The background process
constitutes a comprehensive investigation in which the department runs a State of Nevada and national fingerprint check as well as a Wants/Warrants check to confirm the candidate has no felony or gross misdemeanor arrests without disposition, no felony or gross misdemeanor convictions or to confirm that the applicant is not a fugitive from justice.
If you have any questions, please email
or call Human Resources at (775) 353-2345. The City of Sparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: City of Sparks, Nevada