The Little Potato Company
The Agronomist will have a clear focus on improving yield and quality of the raw product, while driving down production costs and improving grower profitability. The Agronomist will work closely with the NA Agronomy team, contract growers and company field production staff to ensure that the agronomy and production plans are precisely executed. This will include but not be limited to hitting annual and 3-5 year agronomy priorities and KPI's to ensure the highest possible quality and yields are delivered to the Wisconsin packing facility. This position will be based in Coloma, WI.
The ideal candidate will have a background in agronomy with prior agri-business industry experience. Extensive in house potato agronomic knowledge will be learned through on the job training involving numerous agronomy programs developed by the Little Potato Company and externally also.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the management of grower relationships from a technical standpoint; maximizing yield and quality.
- Provide technical and crop intelligence advice to field management.
- Develop and implement agronomy plans for contract growers.
- Manage, implement and report on regional variety trials.
- Commercial introduction of new varieties.
- Support the execution of agronomic research trials - small plot and commercial scale.
- Advise growers on storage best management practices.
- Conduct in-season crop assessments including yield projections and forecasting.
- Liaise with regional crop consultants and local research community.
- Annual grower research meeting – organize and present current research results.
- Additional duties as required.
- 3-5 years experience preferred, in Agri-Business Industry; less experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture.
- Professional Agrologist Designation or eligibility.
- Farming background considered an asset.
- Certified Crop Advisor Designation considered an asset and encouraged for professional development or eligibility
- Driver's license required with good driving record.
- Eligible to write state pesticide applicators license.
- Travel frequency 10%
- Potato industry experience considered an asset but not required.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Proven ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and Microsoft office programs.
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions (fields and storage)
- Ability to lift 50 lb samples.