Power Electronics Engineering Manager
Located in a highly rated northern suburb of Austin, TX. (Relocation assistance available)
Commensurate with experience and is a combination of salary and bonus potential.
The Power Electronics Engineering Manager is a working engineer who also leads a development team responsible for design and development of reliable and cost effective motor drives, power conversion products and systems, including system architecture, inverter/converter topologies, printed circuit boards, thermal management and electrical cabinets. The position requires excellent technical engineering knowledge coupled with solid people leadership skills, proficiency in product development, project management and quality systems. Employees at this company enjoy an average tenure of 18 years and working in an environment where their coworkers are their friends. The company has a longstanding reputation for being the world leader in their industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering leadership and design oversight functions for product development of medium voltage motor drives and power converter products, including: creating and maintaining product development plan and executing the overall plan throughout various phases of product life
- Lead development of product requirements, specifications, design, prototype and test plans
- Coordinate internal/external design reviews, agency approvals, field testing and commissioning
- Support marketing and sales to provide the technical specifications, cost and lead time estimations for custom products and systems
- Provide customer support and issue resolution of problems in the field for medium voltage motor drives, power conversion products, and electrical switchgears and control systems
- Develop and track project budgets, project manpower requirements and project schedules
- Create and maintain a team culture which encourages innovation, collaboration, excitement / commitment and a sense of urgency toward goals and continuous improvement
- Challenge team members to always seek reliable and cost effective solutions, and ensure that all aspects of the design, development and support process are optimal for the market
- Establish performance, cost reduction and productivity goals for the department and create KPIs to support those goals
- Monitor and manage department performance to ensure achievement of KPIs. Regularly provide reports covering department performance and KPI achievement status.
- Responsible for successful project execution measured in terms of cost, safety, performance and delivery schedule
- Actively take part in the design process and approval of design concepts. Utilizes best practice engineering methods and provides expert technical guidance for engineering activities.
- Develop and improve product development processes and procedures
- Troubleshoot and debug power electronics systems, conduct failure analysis and corrective actions
- Provide in depth design for manufacture (DFM) feedback to the production team to ensure that the assembly processes are cost efficient, robust and deliver
- Monitor and administer team performance, morale and engagement. Continuously identify training needs and develop training plans to enhance personnel capabilities, skills and performance. This includes hiring, terminating, preparing and conducting of performance evaluations.
- Engage and provide technical support to Company’s projects aiming at cost reduction and productivity improvement
- Plan and perform engineering duties on new or varied problems where only general objectives are stated and where no previous design or development data exists
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards, compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures, and maintaining a drug free workplace
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position
- Other functions as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (required), master’s degree (preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and training
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience managing complex projects and engineering staff
- Experience with medium voltage motor drives and high-voltage/high-power converters
- Great knowledge of topologies and design for AC-DC, DC-DC and DC-AC systems
- Hands-on experience in building/troubleshooting motor drives and power electronics
- Understanding of designing for fault tolerance, reliability, and manufacturability
- Experience of modeling, development and testing of power electronics systems, including the development of test and validation plans
- Proven track record of successfully developing and launching new products
- US Citizenship is required for work on government contracts
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong technical project management competencies
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations
- Work with multiple functional groups driving process efficiency throughout product life cycle
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing resources and tight deadlines of multiple projects and challenges
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong team formation, coaching and leadership
Keywords: Power Electronics Engineering Manager, Electrical Engineering, BSEE, MSEE, medium voltage motor drives, power conversion products, electrical switchgears, AC-DC, DC-DC, DC-AC
How to Express Interest - Click the Apply button and follow the online instructions.