The Process EngineerII manages the on-boarding and execution of process and product engineering projects, occasionally this will include conceptualization and lobbying for support of a particular project as business needs necessitate. The Process Engineer III executes projects of any scale that will benefit Hardie from a durability, quality, new production, efficiency, and safety standpoint. The Process Engineer III learns and understands various manufacturing processes within the business and utilizes this knowledge to interact with R&D, Manufacturing, and various other groups to implement new solutions and processes.
You will lead a wide range of projects that will include new product launches, platform improvements, process upgrades by coordinating efforts and fostering collaboration within cross-functional project teams consisting of R&D Scientists, Plant, Design, Construction and Quality Engineers, EH&S, vendors, plant floor operators and maintenance technicians.
You will incorporate Project Management skills to fulfill duties such as project scope writing, resource management, timelines, and reporting progress to management, as well as delivering executed projects. You will also provide technical support and expertise during design, install, start-up, and preliminary production runs of new processes, as well as review design and construction documents to ensure accuracy and correct issues prior to installation.
- Provide technical support and expertise during design, install, start-up, and preliminary production runs of new processes. This will include reviewing design and construction documents to ensure accuracy and correct issues prior to installation; developing detailed trial plans and coordinating and overseeing in-plant trials; evaluating/analyzing existing or proposed process design; selecting or design of appropriate equipment to fulfill process design needs; creating drawings and/or schematics enabling communication and/or design of equipment and process modifications; coordinating equipment fabrication and procurement; develop detailed trial plans, coordinate and supervise in-plant trials, provide technical training and expertise to plants relevant to new process and process implementation, work with plant line employees to discuss concepts of new technologies, safety requirements, and process requirements.
- Communicate with plant personnel to promote new concepts and drive process implementation, as well as provide technical oversight during start-ups to observe, troubleshoot, and document any process or scale-up issues provide operating guidelines and procedures for new processes.
- Personally interact with plant personnel, who are critical in helping develop requirements of new processes and who understand existing processes, and R&D to ensure development of viable, achievable processes that can be implemented within specific cost and time restraints.
- Interact and communicate with R&D personnel to gain understanding of new technologies and impact on existing processes, as well as provide guidance on existing processes and process constraints
- Deliver project results to improve the business as a whole by enhancing durability, quality, new production capacity, efficiency, and/or safety in such a way that the projects are resourced to further the Company’s position in the building products industry by
- Using a goal-oriented leadership style to lead teams to project success focusing on the key areas of Company strength and weakness and addressing both to accomplish projects personally or overseeing the work required to deliver the project results.
Your decision-making skills will allow you to be able to make critical, on the spot process related decisions with limited data. You will be able to consult peers, process experts, and team members on decisions affecting the overall project while keeping in mind the needs of the plant, cost, timeline, and logistics.
- Your observations, opinions, and decisions carry significant weight in the outcome or direction of a developing process and as a result you must be thorough, making careful observations, and consider your decisions and opinions carefully.
- Many projects stem from highly confidential development work, which requires discretion and the ability to communicate projects in a generic, yet comprehensive manner.
- The Process Engineer does not have direct reports. However, he/she is responsible for the actions and safety of any support personnel that accompany or assist him/her in the manufacturing plant. He/she also coaches line personnel in proper techniques and concepts of new processes.
Scope of Position
You will be involved in numerous projects related to process and equipment improvements, as well as taking theoretical models and modeling and implementing real solutions in a timely manner, supporting various projects that deliver one or more of the following to the business:
- New products: Support business growth by launching new products that increase top line growth
- Process upgrades: Step change process improvements that improve throughput or cost efficiency
- Product/platform improvements: Changes to the way Company processes the raw materials or products that improve customer value through better field performance or installation cost
- A verifiable record of developing and implementing practical and innovative solutions to complex problems in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to work with and drive cross-functional groups and external partners
- Demonstrated use of effective and inclusive Project Management skills
Demonstrated skills with personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and other proprietary software)
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures in a manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with best-practices principles such as Six Sigma, and Total Quality Management
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to observe and understand existing and new processes
- Ability to observe and troubleshoot process issues
- Knowledge and understanding of process flows
- Excellent documentation and presentation skills
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (mechanical, chemical, industrial, paper science)
4+ years experience in a manufacturing or industrial setting
2+ years in a high-speed manufacturing environment
2+ years experience leading or managing projects
Experience in coating processes, paper manufacturing, composite panel, cement or building products industry strongly preferred