30+ days ago
Aero Precision - we’re not like every manufacturer. Aero Precision’s drive for clean, perfect engineering and machining is unwavering and, there is no margin for error. Not every manufacturer will have razor thin tolerance levels. Not every manufacturer will personally oversee the development, design and machining of every part that comes off the line. We are known for our superior engineering and machining by civilian, Law Enforcement and Military, and are dedicated to deliver the highest quality products available.
We’re not like every employer. Precision machining is at the core of our success, but it wouldn’t be possible without our amazing manufacturing and fulfillment crew, energetic sales team, dialed in support functions and devoted leadership team. We have grown exponentially in the past 5-years, but have intentionally maintained our small, family feel culture that is the core of our existence. Our employees have a strong affiliation to our brand and products, and their passion is reflected in everything they do. You don’t just join our team - you join our family.
The Opportunity. Growth in the firearms industry has created this opportunity for a Product Design Engineer to join our high performing team. This position will support the development of new products as well as refinement and/or improvements to existing products or product lines. This position reports to the VP of Engineering and will work closely with the Products team on configuration and design ideas, and with our Manufacturing and Quality teams on producibility and feasibility.
We are based in Tacoma, Washington but open to relocation or remote work for the right candidate in the Tacoma, WA or Huntsville, AL area.
The Job. The Product Design Engineer will design and develop firearm products to support our vision and allow for the most cost effective and efficient manufacturing methods. They are responsible for research and development of innovative product designs and technologies, including manufacturing technologies, materials, and coatings. The Product Design Engineer will collaborate with other teams from marketing, product management, finance, and manufacturing, to understand full cycle product development goals and expectations on each project. They will meet expected cost targets or project budgets and accomplish them within the established timelines. The Product Design Engineer will develop verification test plans, including coordination with product management team for testing and prepare detailed analysis of testing results and recommend revisions. Additionally, they will develop and maintain technical documentation including SOP’s and technical drawings and models. Finally, the Product Design Engineer will manage tolerance stack-ups and functional interface between sub-systems, implement and process through Product Lifecycle Management System, and conduct FEA analysis and other numerical simulations as required.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 10+ years’ experience of mechanical design, preferably in the firearms industry.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Proficiency in all aspects of CAD software (Solid Modeling, Assemblies, Exploded Views, Bill of Materials, Templates, Layers, Configurations, and Drawings), preferably SolidWorks.
• Experience utilizing SolidWorks PDM Vault or similar data management software.
• Classwork and practical experience with mechanisms, machine design, and design for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA).
• Familiarity with various types of machining, manufacturing methodologies & limitations, materials, and finishes.
• Ability to read, interpret, create, and modify mechanical drawings, models, assemblies, and bill of materials.
• Extreme diligence maintaining revision control of models, assemblies, and drawings.
• Experience utilizing an Engineering Change (EC) process for updating models, assemblies, and drawings for new and existing products.
• Experience with dimensioning and tolerancing using GD&T best practices (ASME Y14.5).
• Able to perform tolerance stack studies of assemblies with multiple interacting components.
• Ability to interpret and apply applicable industry standards (MIL-STDs, AISI, ASTM, etc.).
• Capable of reading, interpreting, creating and updating specification and procedure documents.
• Ability to write reports and procedures, and effectively present information to team members and management.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
• Ability to manage uncertainty in a logical and organized manner.
• Understanding of ISO 9001 (2015 and/or 2018) Quality Management System.
• Previous experience working within a R&D and production manufacturing environment.
• Effectively operate measuring devices needed for design activities (calipers, micrometers, height Gages, etc.).
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook, Teams). Experience with Agile PLM and Asana is a plus.
• Experience working cooperatively and collaboratively with engineers, program managers, CAD techs, and other cross-functional areas such as manufacturing, marketing, product management, and purchasing to achieve team and company project goals.
• Ability to work independently, concurrently on multiple projects, and exercise good judgment.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Attention to detail and accuracy is paramount in this position.
• A great positive attitude, strong work ethic, and high degree of organization is essential.
• Personal experience with the operation of firearms. Preferably a firearm enthusiast.
100% Paid Medical, Dental, Vision for Employee (family benefits also available)
100% Paid Life Insurance
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Best Employee Product Discount in Industry
Growing Company with a Small Company Work Culture