At Goal Zero, an NRG owned company; our mission is to empower people with a bright, safe, connected, and sustainable future by delivering smart, portable power solutions designed for everyone, everywhere. As the market leader in portable solar power, Goal Zero solar panels, power stations, and accessories give a new breed of consumers and outdoor enthusiasts the power to go farther, regardless of their gear s battery life. We invite you to join our adventure as the Product Manager.
The Product Manager, ESS will lead the product definition and go-to-market activities for Goal Zero s Home Energy Storage Systems and solutions, a new line of products to be developed and launched as one of the key growth initiatives for the company. This role will kick off the program for a full line of products for residential and small business energy storage systems as part of the Product Development team at Goal Zero, and work closely with technical staff to deliver on the product once defined, including electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, firmware and software development, battery and solar technology and engineering, and compliance. The ideal candidate would have extensive experience, direct involvement, and broad understanding of the entire product development lifecycle of a grid-tie energy storage solution, including the grid interactive inverter, gateways or transfer switches for moving a building off-grid during outages, keeping a grid-tie solar PV string inverter or micro-inverters active during a power outage, and regulatory standards, in particular designing for UL standards and complying with rapid shutdown/de-energizing requirements, as well as California Rule 21/ IEEE 1547. This role will need to understand the technologies, engineering contract firms, manufacturing suppliers, and customer needs that drive the requirements, development, and production of home energy storage systems. This person is expected to work as both an individual contributor and potentially lead some development resources, both internal and external, to deliver on project deliverables. This role will include a high level of collaboration with cross-functional teams, including working with Supply Chain, Sales, Marketing, Operations, legal counsel, and manufacturing partners.
*_Essential Duties & Responsibilities_*
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Oversees the requirements planning and design of the range products required for a fully functional home energy storage system (ESS)
* Works with potential customers, regulatory entities, internal stakeholders to (1) help define a product line that is differentiated in the market and has a strong competitive position in the ESS market, (2) develop a business proposal for developing/manufacturing/selling an ESS product line, and (3) creates a go-to-market strategy and plan to become a strong player in the ESS market
* Works closely with potential suppliers, engineering firms, and other partners to determine feasibility of target scope and costs for development and manufacturing of the potential product line
* Works closely with Project Managers and other stakeholders to define and deliver on project scope, schedule, and cost
* Works closely with Test and Quality Engineering, local internal and external partner teams, to define and ensure product compliance with expected quality and performance requirements
* Provides technical and category support to other departments as required
* Maintains knowledge of current technology and relevant market trends and developments in the field to uphold responsibilities as subject matter expert
* Makes regular reports to the Engineering Manager, Head of Product Development and other executive management as needed
* Bachelor s degree in Engineering, Business, Marketing or other relevant field with 10 years of highly related experience in home energy storage companies
*_Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities_*
* Direct experience leading and managing a product through the entire development lifecycle (planning, developing, and taking to production), with extremely strong understanding of the key components of an ESS, including a grid-tie inverter with off-grid capabilities for both self-consumption and backup power modes, AC charging of lithium batteries, gateway/transfer switch for partial and whole home switchover to backup power, and remote shutoff capabilities.
* Understanding of core technologies and architectures for all the above systems
* Strong preference for candidates with knowledge/network of potential 3rd party vendors, including both contract engineering and contract manufacturing, for the technologies listed above
* Ability to lead teams and individual team members, local and remote, internal and external, in technical matters
* Willingness to travel to project sites, including overseas development, manufacturing partners, and customers to perform job responsibilities.
* Strong communication skills, verbal and written, to convey project status and technical information
* Open office environment - Primary
* Evening and weekend work as job duties demand
* Occasionally requires lifting up to 30lbs as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
* Domestic and International Travel up to 10% may be required
Goal Zero is committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster(The poster can be found athttp://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf).
Level, Title, and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources.