Production Manager I - Manchester Industries - Dallas, Texas
At Manchester Industries, a Clearwater Paper Company, we provide unparalleled service and the best solutions in Paperboard Sales, Sheeting, and Distribution. Since 1978 we have helped our customers meet the daily demands of the commercial printing, publishing, point of purchase display, specialty packaging, and folding carton industries.
Through innovation and continual improvement in precision converting technology, we provide prime paperboard grades from leading mills to paper merchants and packaging companies. With vast inventories at Manchesterâ€™s 5 strategic locations: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, and Texas, we maintain 14 precision sheeters, 9 guillotine trimmers, 4 carton packing lines, and 2 slitter rewinders within 450,000 combined square feet of manufacturing and warehousing space.
The goal of Manchester Industries is to provide an exceptional service platform with our staff of committed employees. Through working with customers and suppliers together, we are able to find profitable and proficient solutions in this ever-changing marketplace.
At Clearwater Paper and Manchester Industries, we have made it a priority to build a clearly defined workplace culture that is consistent companywide. Clearwater Paper's employees build shareholder value by developing strong relationships through quality and service. Working at Clearwater Paper provides an opportunity to enrich your career through challenging and meaningful work and ongoing training and developmentâ€”all in a supportive environment. We know our success depends on your success.Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
Responsible for planning of resources and assets to ensure on time production of a quality product while maintaining safe work practices and environment. Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in all phases of plant operation. Prepares operation schedules and coordinates manufacturing activities to ensure production and quality specifications are met. Strives to continuously improve work processes and procedures as well as the knowledge, skills and abilities of production personnel.
- Works with the Operations Manager to ensure the fulfilment of on-demand manufacturing operation; seasonal demands can require position related organization of overtime in a quick turnaround business model leveraging utilization of all resources (ex: asset management, capacity planning and resource management).
- May work with schedulers and logistics personnel, ensuring support and execution of production schedules to meet customer demands; provides feedback as needed.
- Develops short range manufacturing supporting business unit objectives.
- Drives established throughput goals, processes and requirements and assures budgeted production from all operations, meeting established target.
- Ensures the optimization of the assembly/fulfilment processes and related material/production workflow.
- Responsible for accurate inventory usage/movement and reconciliation of goods and supplies.
- Drives appropriate production/fulfilment methodologies on the shop floor; leverages best practices when applicable.
- Supports and champions a culture of continuous improvement.
- Makes safety a priority by communicating, participating and supporting safety efforts, ensuring that all regulatory requirements are met.
- Ensures safe work environment and practices are in place and adhered to.
- Reviews all safety incidents in the department and participate in problem solving activity.
- Tours daily for safety compliance and observation of employees.
- Ensure standards for customer service, product quality, equipment and operator performances are maintained.
- Ensure Quality processes, procedures, and associated documentation is utilized.
- Ensures workforce is educated on the importance of producing a quality product.
- Measures team performance and makes employment recommendations. Gives timely performance feedback and conducts formal performance reviews; challenges the team with clear objectives/goals in support of the business unit objectives.
- Leads and mentors other supervisors who are responsible for day to day people management.
- Designated back-up to Operations Manager for incidental backfill and development.
- Develops an atmosphere where information is freely shared, and employees work towards a common goal.
- Provide both short-term guidance and long-term coaching and direction to the crews ensuring they effectively fulfil their duties and responsibilities.
- Responsible for developing the knowledge, skills, and abilities of production personnel
- Actively seeks and allocates appropriate decision-making authority or task responsibility to appropriate individuals based on their abilities, availability, motivation, and development needs; considers potential positive and negative impact, business unit priorities, organizational values, and the opportunity to enhance othersâ€™ knowledge and skills.
- Identifies barriers that impact customer service and retention; communicates concerns and recommendations to others.
- Uses understanding of customer needs and the organizationâ€™s customer service practices to set priorities, make decisions, and take actions that create customer satisfaction and prevent service issues from occurring.
- Creates relevant options for addressing problems and opportunities that will achieve desired outcomes.
- Systematically evaluates business opportunities, targeting those with the greatest potential for producing positive business results.
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelorâ€™s degree in Management, Engineering or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum of five years of industry experience, preferably in a high-speed environment.
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in the pulp and paper industry strongly preferred
- Ability to work with a variety of employees, adapt and react to changing work situations
- Good supervisory and coaching skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals across the organization
- Continuous improvement/lean manufacturing experience preferred
- High speed manufacturing environment, sustained exposure to high frequency noises, multiple hours standing, walking on concrete surfaces
- Personal Protective Equipment required in mill environment.
- Dirt, noise, odour, & temperature extremes.
- Climbing stairs, ladders and scaffolding
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals used in manufacturing process
Each and every one of our employees contributes to the success of our company by showing up every day with a commitment to improving ourselves, the company and our communities.
Find out from our employees what they like about working for Clearwater Paper.
What career development opportunities have you had since starting with Clearwater Paper?
I have had the opportunity to progress from lead operator to shift manager. Today, I am training to become a superintendent. I enjoy the ability I am provided to improve my skills so I can succeed in my chosen career path.
What drives you?
I am driven by the growth and success of my familyâ€”both personal and professional. I feel a great deal of satisfaction when my family does the right thing in the right way.
At Clearwater Paper we are driven by purpose, grounded in values, and connected to communities; Learn more here