This role will utilize combined and varied technical knowledge and design skills translating mechanical engineering and scientific concepts into special applications requiring unique methods, techniques, procedures or processes. You will execute complete technical or mechanical design projects, operational assignments, or major objectives within the framework of a particular phase of scientific inquiry or applied technology.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
What You Will Do:
- Apply technical expertise and knowledge of basic engineering/scientific concepts and practices to provide multifunctional mechanical engineering design.
- Originate, evaluate, and prove mechanical engineering design concepts where the solution of technical problems is required and professional expertise is necessary.
- Consult with program and project team members to focus on the specifications, form, and function of the design.
- Collaborate on the definition of functional requirements and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitation.
- Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies, facilities, utilities and systems by interpreting and translating design concepts and layouts.
- Meet project / task schedules and budgets. Complete work assignments with accuracy and meet technical performance criteria with due consideration for cost/time constraints. Maintain appropriate level of documentation for activities.
- Demonstrate ability to manage complex assemblies and understand parent-child relationships. Apply advanced modeling skills including proper use of patterns, sweeps and trajectories, simplified reps and top down design techniques.
- Use CREO Parametric drawing package, including, but not limited to, GD&T, multiple sheet assembly drawings and detailed fabrication drawings.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
May lead the activities of skilled trade personnel.
What is Required:
- Knowledge or experience equivalent to a BA level degree in a functional specialty closely aligned with a relevant program or equivalent computer aided drafting experience.
- 5 years or more, current experience with CREO Parametric (formerly Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire), or equivalent parametric software.
- Experience with optics and/or optical systems including an understanding of Opto-Mechanical design principles.
- Significant technical expertise and knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practice demonstrated ability to apply mechanical engineering principles and practices to technical design and implementation of technical projects, or operational assignments.
- Experience in interpreting and translating objectives of job requirements into technical designs or functional concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with other scientists and engineers in defining goals and contributing to their realization.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
Minimum of 2 years related professional technical experience.