Project Manager - Hydropower/Environmental Scientist (Mid-Senior Level)
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social and sustainability consulting services. We are currently seeking an outstanding professional to join any one of our California-based offices as a Senior Environmental Scientist to support our renewable portfolio projects.
The role requires experience in the hydropower sector with a strong understanding of environmental regulatory requirements in the Western U.S., familiarity with environmental effects analysis, and an interest in applying knowledge and skills to solve complex challenges. The successful candidate will work with a wide range of technical disciplines in the natural and social sciences to provide support for FERC licensing and compliance documents and other regulatory submissions, and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts. This position is designed for a motivated, career-minded person who enjoys working independently and as a team player, has a strong attention to detail, while providing technical and strategic support to our clients.
- Manage one large or several smaller, multi-disciplinary and complex projects in the power sector (previous experience in hydropower highly preferred)
- Develop and oversee from initiation through report completion ensuring project is within client’s scope/budget/schedule expectations, and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Oversee the development and implementation of resource management plans, serving in roles ranging from planning and coordination, sub-consultant oversight, and/or technical review of data and final reports.
- Perform project delivery activities such as report writing, data and literature review, and development of recommendations for clients.
- Advise, liaise and make recommendations to clients’ project teams on strategic and complex environmental and regulatory issues.
- Travel up to 30% at certain times of year to meet project requirements for field work, agency meetings, and/or project team meetings.
- Support preparation of proposals, including development of scopes and cost estimates, and participate in business development with existing clients and identify new opportunities and clients.
- Support ERM Partners-in-Charge other Project Managers and liaise with sub-consultants from other offices for project support and completion.
Qualifications and Desirable Skills:
- Bachelor's and/or Master’s Degree in Biology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Hydrogeology, Natural Sciences, or a related field.
- At least 7 years of experience performing environmental or regulatory analyses and/or environmental compliance implementation.
- Prior experience with hydropower relicensing activities and/or implementation with post-license compliance activities in CA/Pacific West and/or FERC.
- Working knowledge of Federal and state regulatory environmental permits and regulations; including, but not limited to FERC hydropower relicensing and compliance (Federal Power Act), Clean Water Act Sections 401 and 404, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Section 1600, Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7, National Historic Properties Act (NHPA) Section 106, as related to hydropower and other renewable projects.
- Experience writing and a strong understanding of scientifically defensible environmental documents and permits supporting Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) regulations, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office Suite software (specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, travel, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated attributes to become a strong consultant – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!