Leading the future of luxury mobility
Lucid’s mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating luxury electric vehicles, centered around the human experience. Working at Lucid Motors means having a shared vision to power the future in revolutionary ways. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the automotive industry.
Lucid Motors is seeking a highly motivated prototype machinist with advanced CNC and manual machining skills to help mature our small machine and fab shop into a world-class prototyping shop.
This position will report to the Machine Shop Supervisor. The ideal candidate is extremely hands-on with solid experience in prototype CNC and manual machining.
The Prototype Machinist is responsible for programming, setup, production and maintenance of manual and CNC equipment to prototype parts in materials such as aluminum, steel, stainless steel, ABS, acetal, polycarbonate, etc. Working on one-off parts will be common with most part quantities being under ten pieces.
The successful candidate must have at least 5 years of hands-on experience programming, setting up, and running CNC machines in a prototyping or job shop environment. Knowledge of how to machine a wide variety of parts and the ability to perform his/her own set up and inspection is also required.
The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her craftsmanship and has a reputation to match. He/she must enjoy working in a demanding, diverse and fast paced environment where creativity, responsiveness, meticulous craftsmanship, and personal initiative are required to get the job done.
We are seeking a unique individual who possesses not only superior skills, but diligence, determination, and the flexibility to adapt to the evolving needs of the team.
- Work from solid models, technical drawings, engineering sketches, and other such documentation to produce a variety of prototype and production parts
- Choose the most efficient methods of manufacture, understanding the time and equipment required, and interacting with technicians, designers and engineers to suggest design improvements for manufacturability/machinability
- Use MasterCAM CAM software to program, set-up, and operate CNC milling machines and lathes
- Work with tolerances of +/- .10 mm in most cases with less frequent requirements of +/-.01mm
- Set up and operate manual mills and lathes with a high degree of proficiency.
- Finish, deburr and clean parts as required
- Analyze written specifications, drawings, rough sketches, and verbal instructions to determine operation sequences
- Verify part conformance using machinist's measuring instruments
- Develop and maintain supportive, professional relationships with technicians, designers and engineers
- 5+ years experience as a CNC and manual machinist
- Advanced skills with MasterCAM, Fusion360, or other CAM software, and CNC machine programming, setup and operation
- Ability to machine parts to specification working from CAD files, mechanical drawings and sketches
- Ability to read, understand, and create technical mechanical drawings, including orthographic projections, sectional views, part notes and dimensions and tolerances
- Conversational knowledge of G-Code
- Advanced skills in work piece fixturing
- Expertise calculating/estimating machine cycle times, determining cost effective operation sequences, machinability and feasibility
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ANSI Y14.5M) knowledge is a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of milling, turning, single-point threading, knurling, broaching, grinding, cutting, etc. and detailed functional knowledge of most common machine shop tools and machines
- Familiarity with FANUC and Fagor controls is a plus, although training can be provided
- Deep familiarity with the setup of manual milling machines and lathes, including squaring vises, tramming heads, use of dividing head, rotary table, calculating feeds and speeds, etc.
- Understanding of metrology and the ability to use conventional machinist's measuring instruments
- Ability to perform calculations using geometry, trigonometry, algebra, and basic mathematics
- Comprehensive understanding of cutting tool geometries (shapes, spirals, angles, nose radii) and materials (HSS, cobalt, carbide) and the ability to grind custom tools as required
- Strong organization skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Completion of four year certified Journeyman Apprenticeship Program, AA degree or equivalent is a plus
Be part of something amazing
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.