R&D Formulation Chemist
AMS Practice Management
West Warwick, RI
Our client has been creating and manufacturing personal care products for more than 140 years. They are the world's leading manufacturer of specialty bar soap and solid cleansing products, which include cleansing sticks; solid shampoos and conditioners; bath bombs; and moisturizing sticks. They are looking for an R&D Formulation Chemist to join the team at their Warwick, RI location.
The R&D Formulation Chemist assists in the product development, process development and technical support for the Business Development Group. This role requires a strong practical background in Chemistry and the ability to apply chemical knowledge to solve problems. The successful candidate will be responsible for formulating new, innovative products Health & Beauty products as well as modifications of existing formulae. Additionally, this candidate will ensure the timely completion of product development activities and have the opportunity to contribute his or her skills and ideas toward the growth of the company. The Formulation Chemist will manage all stages of product development process including prototype development, performance testing, product evaluation, consumer testing, scale-up and specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams on the development of new products.
• Develop new and/or improve existing solid cleansing and personal care products.
• Search and identify new ingredients and technologies to incorporate into new innovative products.
• Coordinate and manage the new product stability testing process.
• Assist in the sourcing of new R&D materials as needed.
• Setup and manage specialized outside analytical and clinical lab testing for new product development.
• Assist in the development of technical specifications for Bradford raw materials, cleansing base and finished products.
• With the assistance of Supply Chain, Quality and Product Delivery group, assist in the response to customer compliance/claims requests.
• Assist in the management of R&D and Pilot lab technical documentation. Coordinate and assist in pilot lab and production scale up of R&D formulations.
• A Bachelors' degree in chemistry or related field and a minimum of 10 yrs. in the Pharmaceutical, Oleo or cosmetic materials industry.
• A background in formulation development of deodorants, moisturizers, facial cleansers would be ideal. Compounding and processing techniques including color matching and raw material selection is highly desirable.
• A working knowledge of wet and instrumental analytical techniques.
• Ability to manage several projects and workloads in a fast-paced environment.
• Proficient in computer-based programs (Excel, Word, and Power Point) and specialized software (Oracle, SAP, Formulator etc.) based data entry.