Real Estate Development Manager
- Approximately 7 years of experience in real estate development with a preference for experience with mixed-use development in an urban area
- Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent in education, training and experience
- Coursework in real estate, business administration, urban planning, economics, construction management, architecture or an advanced degree in a similar area of expertise
- Strong written, presentation, and general communication skills
- Ability to review and comment on architectural drawings, engineering reports and drawings, pro formas, and legal documents
- Ability to relate well with others, build rapport and effective relationships, use tact, diffuse high-tension situations and be tough-minded in a constructive way.
- Decisive yet flexible; disciplined and focused on business fundamentals
Our Development Manager reports directly to our Director of Development and manages Bedrock real estate development projects from initial conception to opening. The Development Manager serves in the owner's representative role and oversees the strategic direction of development projects to meet the company's goals. The Development Manager partners with the company's construction, finance, architecture, other teams and outside consultants to plan, program, design, and deliver development projects.
- Manage multiple development projects, including ground-up and adaptive reuse residential and office buildings, parking garages, and public spaces
- Establish the strategic direction for each project in terms of program, phasing, and level of investment to ensure alignment with company goals and marketability.
- Guide interdisciplinary company teams on all aspects of development in terms of schedule, budget, design, construction, marketing and branding, and leasing.
- Review architectural, engineering, marketing, and financial deliverables to ensure quality, consistency, and impact
- Identify and evaluate potential solutions to complex real estate development issues (public land use policy, transportation planning, utilities and infrastructure, impact identification and mitigation, etc.)
- Review and monitor project-related budgets, proformas, documentation outlining staffing requirements, including engagement of consultants and contractors
- Build and maintain relationships with external resources such as general contractors, subcontractors, surveyors, traffic engineers, land use advisors, legal advisors, and other consultants coordinating communications throughout the project
- Work closely with internal teams to provide financial reviews, updates and forecasts for the various project(s)
- Analyze potential projects from the perspectives of mission-fit, financial feasibility and risk
- Prepare presentations, reports, and analyses at various stages in the development process to drive decisions
- Track real estate trends and innovative development practices to disseminate information for teams and apply to projects as appropriate
- Regularly update progress on developments to company executives
Who We Are
Detroit-based Bedrock is a full-service real estate firm specializing in acquiring, developing, leasing, financing and managing commercial and residential buildings. Since its founding in 2011, Bedrock and its affiliates have invested and committed more than $5.6 billion to acquiring and developing more than 100 properties, including new construction of ground-up developments in downtown Detroit and Cleveland totaling more than 18 million square feet.
Bedrock’s real estate portfolio consists of more than 200 office tenants and more than 120 retailers and restaurants in Detroit’s technology-centric downtown, the majority of which are new to the market, including Microsoft, Quicken Loans, LinkedIn, StockX, Ally Bank’s national headquarters, Fifth Third Bank’s regional headquarters, WeWork, Madewell, Under Armour, Shake Shack and countless others.
Bedrock is currently developing four transformational projects, including the Hudson’s Site, Monroe Blocks, Book Tower renovation and One Campus Martius expansion. Bedrock is also undertaking construction of City Modern, a community development in Detroit’s Brush Park neighborhood. Partnering with Detroit-based Shinola, Bedrock developed the world’s first Shinola Hotel on Woodward Avenue, which opened in early 2019.
Bedrock is dedicated to creating jobs for Detroiters and investing in job training. Over the last year, the company has invested in both the Randolph Career Technical Center and the Breithaupt Career and Technical Center to build a pipeline of talent for Detroit’s growing economy.
Creating unique experiences through real estate is Bedrock’s mission. To make this a reality, Bedrock and its affiliates continuously invest in significant public art installations and placemaking initiatives throughout the city.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.