Registered Respiratory Therapist
Lincoln, IL, US
30+ days ago
Initiates, maintains, and discontinues basic and intensive respiratory therapy techniques and equipment in the administration of prescribed respiratory care procedures to patients with cardiopulmonary disorders.
• Graduate of approved Respiratory Therapy Program
• Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care required.
• Possesses a valid and active Illinois Respiratory Care Practitioner license.
• Healthcare Provider or Instructor BLS certification required within 30 days of hire.
• ACLS and NRP provider or instructor certifications required within 1 year of hire.
• Demonstrates the ability to provide respiratory care and therapy to patients of all ages and conditions, including intensive care, neonatal, and pediatric patients.
1. Prepares and tests respiratory therapy equipment for proper and safe operation and periodically checks equipment in use and on units for proper operations and routine service. Reports malfunctioning equipment to manager.
2. Receives, documents, and executes physicians' orders relating to respiratory therapy protocol. Interprets and evaluates physician orders and charts that pertain to respiratory care and identifies possible contraindications to medications, treatments, and related hazard with their use.
3. Measures and administers prescribed medications, such as oxygen and aerosolized medications, to patients. Administers procedures and therapies as needed.
4. Assesses patients' conditions and responses to respiratory therapy.
5. Recognizes and treats adverse reactions and emergency situations arising during treatment.
6. Recognizes and responds to the signs of cardiopulmonary arrest and/or failure and life-threatening arrhythmias during EKGs. As necessary, assists in performing and/or initiating CPR procedures.
7. Records procedures, patient responses, and medication administration in compliance with departmental documentation requirements.
8. Processes routine and stat hospital EKGs and prepares them for the interpreting physician(s).
9. Performs nasal and tracheal suctioning of patients and obtains tracheal secretions for cultures.
10. Maintains, monitors, and provides respiratory care to patients on continuous mechanical ventilators.
11. Provides respiratory care to ICU (including lung auscultation); recommends respiratory care procedures as patient condition warrants. Alerts the appropriate staff of any changes in patient condition.
12. Monitors and cares for patients with artificial airways and endotracheal cuffs.
13. Instructs patients, families, and other hospital personnel in the proper use of respiratory therapy equipment and the associated procedures and techniques used.
14. Provides cardiopulmonary services in the emergency department. Performs patient assessment and treatment according to the emergency department/ respiratory care protocol.
15. Makes recommendations for changes and improvements in hospital equipment and procedures to maintain best practice.
16. Participates in departmental or multidisciplinary teams related to clinical quality, safety, education, best practice, patient satisfaction, or process improvement.