At the forefront of farming and food, Memphis Meats is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. Memphis Meats is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Research Associate II, (Process Development) will be responsible for running cell and tissue culture processes and performing routine characterization under the direction of the Process Development team to support the development and scale-up of novel platforms for the cultivation of cell based meat. You should be capable of designing, troubleshooting, and executing bioreactor-based experiments independently while employing critical thinking and organizational skills. This laboratory-based position requires wet-bench work on a daily basis on several concurrent projects, followed by analysis and interpretation of the data, presentation of findings to the Process Development team, and suggestion of follow-up experiments. You should be creative, enthusiastic, and a self-manager.
We hope to find someone creative and enthusiastic, who enjoys hands-on work to be part of our growing team.
- Creating an environment of trust, continuous improvement, and learning.
- Multi-tasking and performing multiple operations within the same day across different platforms.
- Managing schedule and priorities on a daily basis, while working to a timeline.
- Supporting weekends as needed by the work schedule.
- Performing sterile cell and tissue culture techniques, including media preparation.
- Performing lab scale bioreactor operations and cell culture experiments.
- Defining, optimizing, and performing cell harvest processes.
- Performing routine maintenance on process equipment.
- Acquiring and analyzing data independently; recording all experimental designs, data, observations, and results in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Summarizing and presenting results to a supervisor and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- Drafting reports, documentation, and SOPs for review by supervisor.
- Communicating with other teams within the company or with outside vendors.
- Maintain process specific inventory of parts and consumables.
- Adhering to and enforcing good lab practices, including cleanliness, safety (PPE), and waste handling; takes immediate action to correct any potential safety issues.
- 3 or more years of animal cell culture experience, preferably in industry, but academic setting considered.
- BS in cell biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, chemical engineering or related life sciences field.
- Comfortable with lab scale bioreactor setup, operation, and optimization.
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Working knowledge of basic safety, good laboratory practices and aseptic technique..
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Excellent critical thinker.
- Ability and willingness to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to relate with people at all levels within an organization, including diverse cultures.
- Must be comfortable working independently and on a team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Comfortable presenting in front of large groups consisting of peers and/or management.
- When necessary, must be willing and able to work outside of business hours.
- Experience in data analysis platforms (e.g. JMP, Minitab), including statistical analysis and presenting data in table and graph forms.