Research Associate – Immunology
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd.
Silver Spring, MD
Odyssey Systems has an exciting new opportunity for a Research Associate supporting the WRAIR – Department of Diarrheal Disease Research (DDR). Diarrheal diseases, notably Shigella, are a major source of morbidity among deployed U.S. military and a significant threat to readiness. To that end, BDB aims to develop a safe and effective vaccine against multiple Shigella strains to protect personnel overseas and keep Soldiers in the fight. This position is perfect for a recent college graduate who is interested in getting great training from a top notch team.
Duties include, but not limited to:
The Research Associate will provide support in the areas of immunological research to include:
- Conducting bench research on Shigella (or other enteric pathogens) to include large scale production of purified proteins and LPS, immunogenicity, biochemistry and mechanisms of action of Shigella subunit vaccines or live Shigella vaccine candidates.
- Assisting in the evaluation of Shigella vaccines in clinical and pre-clinical studies to include immunizing small animals, collecting blood, lymph nodes mucosal washes, and determining the immune response elicited after vaccination using cellular proliferation, antibody secreting cell (ASC), ELISA, and immunobead multiplexing assays.
- Assisting in pre-clinical evaluation of prototype diagnostic devices for detection of Shigella and other enteric pathogens from complex biological matrices such as stool.
- Assisting in the daily maintenance and operations of the lab to include media preparation, glassware and hazardous waste management, and administrative duties such as ordering supplies and periodic lab inventories.
- Establishing and/or developing laboratory procedures and analyze and/or evaluate research data; participate in a cooperative effort to accomplish goals of the laboratory; maintain proficiency and expertise in the field of research.
- Utilizing professional knowledge of: theories, principles, methods, and techniques of immunology, cell biology, and microbial pathogenesis, such as ELISA, ASC assays, cellular proliferation assays, western blotting, cell culture, small animal handling (such as mice or guinea pigs), and aseptic technique.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline is required
- Recent college graduate with exposure and interest in immunology
- Willingness to work with small animals in a lab environment required
- Familiarity with the following research equipment is preferred but not required: HPLC, PCR, Mass spectrometer, Flow Cytometers, cell counters, cell separation devices, fermenters, lyophilizes, peptide synthesizers
- Familiarity with the following typical procedures is preferred but not required to: gel electrophoresis, protein assays, fermentation and purifications, and immunological functional assays.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Prism and SAS.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Please note: Final compensation for this position will be determined by various factors such as the Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, relevant work experience, specific skills and competencies, geographic location, education, and certifications.
In accordance with Odyssey's legal obligation to comply with Presidential Executive Order 14042, and Department of Defense and Federal Acquisition Regulation implementation directives, this position requires as a condition of employment that you be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, and provide proof of full vaccination, or have a legal exemption from vaccination before commencing employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
About the Company
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd.
Established in 1997, Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is a leading provider of management, analytical, and technical support services for government and private-sector customers. Odyssey delivers innovative solutions in response to complex and challenging customer requirements.
Our portfolio of successful projects demonstrates our ability to efficiently plan, staff, and manage efforts of all scopes and sizes. Our employees provide tailored functional expertise in technology, engineering, and management principles. We offer vast experience in acquisition strategy development and document generation; source selection support; cost, schedule, and performance management; systems engineering and analysis; risk management; cost/benefit and earned value analysis; computer-based training development; communication planning and operations; and lifecycle sustainment and product support. Odyssey also offers research and acquisition support services to the DoD medical domain, leading DoD medical mission support through several prime services contracts.
A six-time Inc. 5000 honoree, Odyssey has earned recognition on the 2019 Inc. 5000 as one of the most successful companies in America. In Inc.’s annual guide to the 5,000 fastest-growing privately held companies in the U.S., we were ranked #162 in the Government Services category, delivering a wide range of services to DoD customers and beyond.