Research Scientist (Communication/Influence)
Our team is building tools for advancing the state-of-the art in communication and behavioral analysis. We work on R&D projects using computational methods to generate new insights from problem-sets ranging from disinformation and violent extremism to marketing and business strategy. Parenthetic is seeking an experienced Research Scientist to help put theory into practice by applying models of strategic communication, influence and information, and human behavior in partnership with data scientists and software engineers.
Our goal is to produce data-driven insights for customers, then build tools to make these insights repeatable and scalable. You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and will be responsible for leading the development of models and workflows informed by the latest research and industry best practices. You'll conduct qualitative and quantitative research on communities of interest, develop findings, and deliver results to clients via reports and presentations.
- Identify, adapt, and apply relevant communication theories, psychological frameworks, and best practices to research questions and analytic problems.
- Produce written deliverables that are clear and concise, effectively communicating findings to clients.
- Drive the employment of software tools to enhance research outcomes and scale processes and approaches to large volumes of data.
- Collaborate with teammates to gather requirements, interpret analytic questions, and develop solutions in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement research plans from beginning to end, working across the organization to integrate the full set of available capabilities.
The position may require occasional on-site work in the Washington Metropolitan Area (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) for a Federal Government client. Occasional domestic travel (less than 10%) may be required based on operational needs.
Work Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Communication, Marketing, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Political Science, or other social science field and 5+ years of work experience.
- Prior experience with qualitative and quantitative content analysis approaches and their application
- Proficiency in data analysis, with an ability to use advanced excel features (complex formulas, pivot tables, etc.) and create graphics that effectively communicate findings.
- Self-starter with the ability to take direction from various stakeholders, establish priorities and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn about complex, highly technical topics.
- Experience with Python, R, SQL, Tableau, or other software tools for data processing and quantitive research
- Prior work in the marketing/communications and/or defense sectors
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain a US government security clearance
Parenthetic is headquartered in Alexandria, VA, and offers a competitive salary, generous and flexible paid time off policy, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a retirement plan with company match.