Research Scientist, Data Connectivity and Analytics
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test â€” the highest-rated, most accurate on the market â€” enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the worldâ€™s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embarkâ€™s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This role is designed for the bioinformaticist / informaticist who is committed to applying their technical skills and experience to advance health-related R&D.
On the Lead Generation team, you will have access to the largest collection of canine genotype and phenotype data in the world. Our rapidly expanding database is the backbone of Embarkâ€™s research discovery and product innovation engine. We aim to uncover new understanding of canine biology by integrating detailed phenotypic data with genetic data collected using state-of-the-art sequencing and array genotyping methods, and then assist in deploying these discoveries as unique features and products for our customers. This role will provide informatics support for experiments involving genomics, phenomics, and other -omics data from a variety of projects in canine health and behavior. You will work closely with other Scientists, Engineers, and Product Managers to solve important scientific problems, develop the next generation of canine DNA test products, and promote health and longevity in future generations of dogs.
Successful candidates will have experience working in collaborative environments with cross-functional teams that integrate science and engineering expertise. The ideal candidate is informatically proficient, highly motivated, and possesses a solid foundation in statistical principles.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Discovery and Commercialization. The position will reside in Ithaca, NY.
What youâ€™ll do:
The Research Scientist specializing in data connectivity and analytics will create the circuitry for heuristic lead generation as part of Embarkâ€™s effort to deliver a best-in-class genetic health product to pet parents, breeders, and veterinarians.
- This person will work closely with outstanding multi-omics experts to improve and innovate discovery analytics and data visualization tools
- Support lead generation by developing and improving code for multi-omics R&D
- Help develop methods to identify the â€˜best next experimentâ€™ for algorithm-based prioritization
- Partner with engineering teams to capture operational data as metrics of efficiency and effectiveness of lead generation
- Collaborate with statisticians and data scientists to advance unstructured exploration of datasets
- Work closely with epidemiologists and veterinary scientists to integrate new data streams
- Be an excellent contributor through standardized reporting and documentation
What experience weâ€™re looking for:
- 3 years of experience in bioinformatics and/or programming with python, R and cloud computing
- Specialized experience in graphics and data visualization
- Plus if experience with SQL or other databasing languages
- Plus if proficient in statistics and data science
- Plus if industry experience in biotechnology and/or biopharma
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a high growth, results-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to collaborate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Deep passion for dog health
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but weâ€™re passionate about people too. Weâ€™re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- Working with the world's largest team of PhDs, DVMs and engineers focused on canine genomics and devoted to making the next generation of discoveries and technologies that will make the lives of dogs today and in the future longer and healthier
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid parental leave (plus paw-rental leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office downtown Ithaca, NY (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation â€” every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.
Powered by JazzHR