Serves patients by managing staff; developing and enforcing nursing policies and
* Defines nursing practices by encouraging and supporting research and potential quality improvement efforts.
* Influences medical center policy by providing nursing services perspective.
* Accomplishes the financial goals of the medical center by improving the quality and cost-effectiveness of nursing services.
* Maintains medical center legal requirements by interpreting hospital policy and state nursing laws; investigating potential breaches; studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; advising medical center chief executive officer on needed actions.
* Identifies future nursing services requirements by establishing rapport across interdisciplinary services; interpreting information from potential and actual patients and families; conferring with people in a position to understand service requirements.
* Maintains nursing staff by determining strategic recruiting focus; reviewing and developing selection criteria; establishing hiring practices; evaluating effectiveness of newly hired nurses.
* Maintains credentialed staff by keeping abreast of advances and specialty opportunities in new and emerging nursing services and technologies.
* Maintains nursing services operations by defining required program and operational and personnel policies; implementing a nursing strategy.
* Maintains a collaborative patient services work environment by fostering a spirit of interdisciplinary cooperation among nursing services, medical staff, and support and ancillary services.
* Contributes to medical center effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing directives.
* Represents the medical center by establishing and maintaining relationships with community groups and health and support services; communicating with news media; collecting data and presenting information at hearings.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
* Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Nursing Skills, Performance Management, Staffing, Emphasizing Excellence, Delegation, Coaching, Quality Management, Initiative, Organizational Astuteness, Infection Control, Clinical Skills