POSITION SUMMARY: BASIC FUNCTION
The Security Officer L1 is responsible for the administrative and operational duties associated with a site security team. Provides protection for personnel and company property. May arrange for extra protection for key employees. Ensures implementation and maintenance of security procedures based on policies determined by the Corporate Security Manager to meet required codes and regulations. Completes incident reports and submits for approval. Assists other teams with tasks in and around the facility to include cleanliness, cardboard removal, and light maintenance. Fulfills duties associated with the Shipping and Receiving Department. Regular, predictable attendance is essential for satisfactory performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that all employees, clients, vendors, and visitors on company property have proper company issued identification.
- Patrols assigned post on foot to maintain visibility and observes possible unusual activity
- Ensures that the client, its associates, and RDC personnel are provided with a safe and professional work environment.
- Investigates, repairs if possible, and reports maintenance and safety conditions.
- Ensures that daily administrative documentation is kept concise and complete at all times.
- Maintains all daily assigned equipment in functional and presentable condition.
- Responds to all requests for assistance relayed by employees or clients; completes various company or client assignments as required.
- Assists in performing and maintaining the Shipping and Receiving tasks.
- Assists with investigations involving security related accidents/incidents, interview witnesses, complaints, and victims; gathers physical evidence and preserves it for future use; completes report and follows up with management as needed.
- Investigates and reports fires, evacuations, hazardous situations/other facility related events. Responsibilities include crowd control and assisting Fire Department/EMS or other officials during these processes.
- Maintains familiarity of Security procedures and policies in addition to Company policies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Standard methods, practices, tools and equipment for the security team.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety rules.
- Ability to remain calm in an emergency.
- Knowledge of the Data Center Security Best Practices.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven team environment.
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems.
- Multi-task multiple projects.
- Team Player.
- Follows instructions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 6 months of experience in law enforcement, industrial or governmental security or an equivalent combination of same OR two years college with emphasis in criminal justice or related field is required.
- Law-Enforcement and/or Military Schooling a plus.
- Experience in the administration and operation of: access control systems, CCTV systems with digital recording, and photo ID systems preferred.
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both written and verbal methods with clients, vendors, and co-workers.
- Approximately equal amount of time sitting and walking.
- Requires ability to bend, reach and stand for extended periods.
- Able to hear and speak into a telephone and walkie-talkie.
- Close visual work on a computer terminal.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate any required computer keyboard, mouse, and other technical instruments.
- Requires ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Requires the ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Exposure to unpleasant fumes and odors.
- Exposure to hazardous work environments.
- Data Center environment, including outside perimeter and grounds.
- Exposure to all types of weather conditions.
- Must work on-site; no telecommuting.
- Must carry “Security” certification from the DCJS or BSIS.
- Must follow PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) guidelines as determined for the position
- Must wear RDC security uniform and proper footwear.
- Unless part of a religious accommodation, no visible piercings (although no more than 2 stud earrings in ears permitted); no unusual/non-traditional hair colors such as green or hot pink. No visible inappropriate tattoos as determined by Security Manager and Human Resources.
- Must be comfortable working in a highly critical, fast paced environment shifting priorities.
- Must be able to respond to emergency situations at the data center.
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends, late nights, holidays and be part of on-call protocol.
- Must possess a current, valid state-issued Driver’s License.
CPR/First Aid Certification (can be obtained in first 6 months working for