Senior Corporate Attorney
Summary of Principal Functions
The Senior Corporate Attorney will be responsible for providing legal support and counseling to the coal and iron ore mining, metallic and coke production businesses. Areas of assistance include providing advice on legal issues and the negotiation and drafting of various agreements associated with various regulatory and operational issues, business development opportunities, and litigation support. As Senior Corporate Attorney for the raw materials business, this individual will have a direct professional reporting line to the Group Counsel, Mining Operations in the company’s legal department but will also be expected to maintain a close day-to-day working relationship with the EVP, Business Development. This Senior Corporate Attorney will also be expected to assist other members of the Company’s legal department as may be required from time-to-time based on workloads and overall Company-priorities.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Provide day-to-day legal support for coal and iron ore mining, metallic and coke production businesses
- Conduct legal research and provide legal review and advice on various legal corporate and compliance issues.
- Draft contracts and agreements covering various types of corporate legal arrangements.
- Advising and drafting of commercial sales agreements.
- Review and prepare documentation with respect to real estate purchases and sales.
- Work directly with internal business clients; participate in executive and management-level counseling and decision-making.
- Review and analyze agreements, contracts, proposals, and other corporate legal documents.
- Participate in negotiations with third parties.
- Assign outside counsel to assist where necessary.
- Strategize and coordinate matters with outside counsel.
- Analyze and triage real-time situations, coordinate appropriate responses, attend and participate in business development and legal departmental meetings.
- Draft policies, present updates, and participate in applicable governance issues.
- Develop an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives with a high level of professionalism, ethical behavior and exceptional business judgment.
- Implement organizational and recordkeeping initiatives as needed to comply with legal requirements and internal policies
- Promote confidentiality and discretion to protect sensitive company information and data.
- Other duties as requested and flexibility to work on special projects and fill specific needs.
- BA/BS Business Administration, Mine Engineering, Political Science or Pre-Law
- 10+ years’ experience in similar work environment.
- Work independently with general direction.
- Requires the ability to multi-task on time sensitive projects, high level of initiative, with problem identification and resolution skills.
- Experience working in a complex, multiple client environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively up, down, and across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage pooled resources of varying skill sets effectively balancing workloads across multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
Core Business Skills
- Job Knowledge- Demonstrates a clear understanding of policies and procedures of operation; complies with and applies policies and procedures appropriately. Keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to complete work. Assesses situation accurately and determines appropriate action.
- Business Acumen- Makes decisions with a clear understanding of how these decisions affect efficiency, effectiveness and ultimately financial results or how they are tied to the organization's goals and objectives.
- Continuous Improvement Skill Set- Focuses on processes contributing to positive outcomes. Looks for ways to streamline work processes, reduce rework, eliminates redundancies. Motivates others to translate ideas into actions. Champions incremental improvements in work processes and results.
Working with People
- Integrity- Is known for honesty with team and management. Follows through answering questions and requests. Does not dodge or ignore issues. Acts on outstanding and poor performance. Does not "walk by" uncomfortable situations.
- Trust, Respect, and Open Communications- Treats fellow employees and subordinates with respect; willing to actively listen to others. Follows through on promises, or explains when cannot do so. Does not ignore problems, is clear in expectations.
- Teamwork- Demonstrates cooperation with all departments during planning sessions and provides resources to other areas when needed.
Making a Difference
- Bias for Action- Values action over theory. Demonstrates desire to move beyond ideas. Self-generated action.
- Group and Individual Accountability- Acts as role model. Consistently lives by company values. Does not play favorites. Is candid and willing to make unpopular decisions. Clearly defines what expectations are, measures individual work performance against those expectations and gives balanced, consistent feedback.
- Customer Focus- Commits to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers. Seeks customers' needs. Acts with customer in mind. Receives firsthand stakeholder information and assesses it to measure stakeholder satisfaction. Builds and maintains effective relationships with stakeholders and gains their trust and respect.
- Creating Economic Value- Marshalls resources efficiently and effectively in pursuit of functional or operational goals. Utilizes and promotes current business improvement processes and procedures to improve current operating methods and techniques identifying and eliminating waste.
- Environmental Stewardship- Ensures all site and local environmental related policies, procedures and laws are followed and updated. Gives feedback on policies and procedures based on job knowledge and experience.
- Safe Production- Learns, understands and trains others in safety policies, procedures and tools. Shows commitment to personal safety plan. Never violates a company policy or guideline regarding safety. If appropriate to job, expects and inspects for utilization of tools such as Take 5, Workplace Design and Interactions; plans emphasize execution to accomplish continual improvement to Zero; and holds crew and peers accountable for same.
- Thinks and Acts Strategically- Takes time to step back and look at big picture before taking action. Develops long-range plans to produce results. Able to simplify issues and implement a plan to address.
- Change and Adaptability- Strives for continuous improvements in processes. Constantly challenges current thinking regarding people and processes and recommends changes to improve. Treats change as an opportunity for learning and growth.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to
email@example.com call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
About the Company
Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel producer in North America. Founded in 1847 as a mine operator, we are also the largest supplier of iron ore pellets in North America. In 2020, we acquired two major steelmakers, AK Steel and ArcelorMittal USA, vertically integrating our legacy iron ore business with quality-focused steel production and emphasis on the automotive end market. Our fully integrated portfolio includes custom-made pellets and HBI; flat-rolled carbon steel, stainless, electrical, plate, tinplate and long steel products; as well as carbon and stainless steel tubing, hot and cold stamping and tooling. Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, we employ approximately 25,000 people across our mining, steel and downstream manufacturing operations in the United States and Canada.