Senior Design Engineer
A Senior Design Engineer is needed in Plymouth, Michigan through Belcan Workforce Solutions. You will conduct engineering activities related to product design, such as drawing creation, engineering specification reviews, cost estimates, estimating development timing and supporting testing for appropriate projects. You will be responsible for providing support on supplier design issues, problem resolution, engineering evaluations, data analysis, engineering changes and component timing. This is a great contract opportunity with an established and reputable company.
1. Commercial Vehicle chassis component integration. Evaluates technical content (specification review, design improvement, design release, assembly instructions, engineering changes, calculations, statistics, tolerance review, direct FEA / CAE, etc..), improves quality, reduces cost, makes effective decisions and meets schedules while considering a range of possible alternatives. Reports activities and decisions to Sr. Engineer, assigned mentor and/or management for direction and/or approvals. Prepares SOR for supplier purchased components. 30% of time
2. Communicates effectively with engineering, suppliers, production facilities, joint venture partners and other parties based on teamwork concepts. 15% of time
3. Coordinates with suppliers or other departments to achieve established targets on schedule. Facilitate team meetings with suppliers to review requirements, specifications, timing, and part delivery. 15% of time
4. Analyzes new technologies and trends. Prepares reports and research findings to management in both the U.S. and in Japan. 10% of time
5. Maintains assigned projects and related schedules. 10% of time
6. Assists and consults with other Isuzu departments and companies, sharing technical documentation to support collective objectives. 5% of time
7. Investigates North American (NA) CV competitors" vehicles or specific subsystems for competitive engineering research. Prepares presentations for reviews and information sharing. 5% of time
8. Assists with technical meetings at vendors, and others when necessary. 5% of time
9. Prepares design drawings as necessary and evaluates vendor drawings. Performs miscellaneous related duties as assigned. 5% of time
10. Participate in multi-department communication, collaboration events and team projects. Position may require light lifting (5-25 lbs) and on rare occasions, heavy lifting (60 lbs) but is primarily a sedentary position in a controlled office. Position may require 5-10% domestic and international travel, including overnight stays.
Bachelor"s degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME or BSEM) MSME preferred
Minimum one year of experience in automotive product design engineering or equivalent. Design Release experience preferred
Development process of automotive parts
Automotive parts knowledge for material selection (metal, plastic, textile), production processes, test methods, requirements, specifications, regulations, and component/sub-system design development process. Basic GD&T knowledge.
Familiarity with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)/American Standard Test Method (ASTM)
Basic operational skills with CAD/CAM design systems; Siemens NX & TcAE or similar
Familiarity with simulation software and common diagnostic equipment
Familiarity with BOM, FMEA, ECR process, & Root Cause analysis.
Problem solving skills (5-Why, 8D, Fishbone diagrams)
Additional knowledge sets: in commercial vehicle component integration a plus.
Proficient PC skills in Windows applications/Microsoft Office and presentation applications
Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Familiar with the construction of SOR / SOW and other specification writing tools
Self-motivated, multi-tasking, and time management skills
Ability to sketch, interpret drawings and 3D virtual designs
Investigative and research skills such as benchmarking, internet search techniques, etc.
Strong verbal and written communication skills and cross cultural communication experience.
Must be able to obtain and keep a commercial driving license and medical certificate
If you are interested in this Senior Design Engineer job please apply via the 'apply now' link provided.
Belcan is a global supplier of engineering, technical recruiting, and IT services to customers in the aerospace, industrial, and government sectors. Belcan engineers better outcomes through adaptive and integrated services-from jet engines, airframe, and avionics to heavy vehicles, chemical processing, and cybersecurity. Belcan takes a partnering approach to provide customer-driven solutions that are flexible, scalable, and cost-effective. Our unique capabilities have led to continuous growth and success for nearly 60 years. We are a team-driven Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity.