Senior Engineer, Materials and Processes
Aerojet Rocketdyne, a major aerospace corporation responsible for the design, manufacture and operation of a number of critical U.S. space and defense products.
This position is for a Materials and Process Senior Engineer at the Aerojet Rocketdyne site at West Palm Beach, Florida. Selected applicant will become a member of the technical engineering staff that is responsible for selecting, evaluating, supporting analysis and providing design requirements for materials and processes used in rocket engine and air-breathing hypersonic propulsion system applications. This position requires a knowledge and experience with applicable materials and process technologies for use in space launch systems, exploration missions and hypersonic propulsion environments.
Applies principles of chemistry, physics, and material behavior to develop metallic and/or non-metallic materials for use in product development that leads to production and to solve production related problems. Provides expertise in the areas of materials and properties, chemical and structural characterization testing, requirements development and validation. Material analyses may include failure analysis of components, systems and subsystems, life predictions, and definition. Designs and scales up manufacturing processes, instruments and equipment, and tests manufactured products to ensure requirements and quality are met.
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Under general direction, the Senior Engineer determines approaches to objectives demonstrating an in-depth understanding and application of principles, concepts, and practices.
- Provides imaginative, thorough, and practical solutions to a wide range of engineering problems involving the conventional utilization of engineering techniques.
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Conceives and plans projects involving the development of new methods to attain objectives.
- Performs work which involves conventional engineering practice but may include a variety of complex features.
- Works on assignments requiring broad knowledge of precedents in the specialty area and in-depth knowledge of principles and practices of related specialties within the industry.
- May participate in technical proposals describing section analytical capability, past successful experience, proposed design approach and rationale with estimated cost and schedule to perform.
- Performs analysis, design or test of one or more complex materials, structural components or functional systems of Company products.
- Provide guidance to less senior engineers and support personnel as required and act as lead on a project.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Ceramics Engineering, or Polymer Engineering with 5 years’ directly related experience (PhD w/2 years’ experience) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applicant must have the Ability to:
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Contribute to multi-disciplinary technical team through design development activity
- Read and interpret technical drawings, and specifications
- Perform technical research work and make detailed analyses
- Prepare complete and comprehensive reports
- Analyze engineering problems and adopt effective courses of action
- Use various computer systems, engineering test equipment, various office and engineering software applications
- Understand and interpret regulations and their impact on the Company’s operations
- Operate effectively in a team environment
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Aerojet Rocketdyne. Proof of vaccination or an accommodation request approved by Aerojet Rocketdyne will be required prior to starting employment with the Company.
May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. May also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.