LUMA - Built for Puerto Rico
We rely on electricity every day. We need it to run our appliances, power the streetlights and produce the goods and services that drive our economy.At LUMA we are committed to provide Puerto Rico with electricity that we all can depend on. At LUMA, we put people first — our employees, our customers and the communities where we live and work. We encourage and inspire our people to embrace opportunities as they work to build an electricity system that will make Puerto Rico a better place.If you're looking for a career where you can make a tangible difference in the lives of your neighbors and your community, LUMA is the place for you. LUMA offers new jobs designed to respond to the current and future needs of the T&D system. Together we're transforming the island's electric transmission and distribution system, and energizing Puerto Rico. Please note that these new jobs with LUMA offer different terms and conditions of employment to those currently in place with PREPA.We will schedule interviews with all qualified PREPA candidates. All PREPA applicants will receive priority in hiring and a compensation package equal to or better than what they receive today. In order to receive notifications as additional positions and locations are posted, please create a profile on our career site.
About the Position
The Senior Engineer Distribution is responsible for coordinating and performing engineering activities related to Substation Automation Asset Management. The role will require well-rounded technical aptitude, high problem-solving ability and excellent teamwork skills to be successful.
What will you get up to everyday?
- Evaluate resource plan, new development/project requirements and define the framework for the Substation Automation system architecture to comply with those requirements
- Perform and evaluate Substation Automation planning studies, pilot tests, process and procedures
- Develop and provide conceptual and detailed design guidelines and best practices for new Substation Automation (SA) technologies to facilitate the maintenance and reduce the costs associated with asset inventory and support
- Work planning, coordination, and cost estimating
- Define Asset replacement strategy based on aging technologies and new requirements
- Define Cyber Security compliance framework for the Automation infrastructure
- Development or implementation of a Historian System and other specialized utility applications to support the corporate asset strategy
- Evaluate, test and incorporate new SCADA/Automation technologies to help the optimization of the Power Grid operation and resiliency
- Develop, support and improve Substation Automation equipment specifications
- Participate in the procurement of Substation Automation equipment for new technology implementation
- Participate in design reviews, close gaps and deal with issues from lessons learned
- Define maintenance and support requirements. In conjunction with Ops and Maintenance teams, develop and roll-out maintenance programs
- Participate in new Substation Automation design initiatives, including presentations to the engineering group and senior management
- Evaluate, test and incorporate new SCADA/Automation asset management technologies to help the optimization of the Power Grid operation and resiliency
- Define performance metrics and monitoring requirements. Monitor the performance of the Substation Automation system. Create and execute continuous improvement plans.
- Provide technical support to field organizations
- Strong technical knowledge in power flow, transmission design, associated Electrical & Utility codes, constructability, and equipment applications
- Strong business knowledge in the utility and regulated environment and working knowledge of our Operations groups and the challenges they face day-to-day
- Excellent project management skills including demonstrated ability to work in an environment with firm deadlines and a track record for delivering on time and on budget. Ability to prioritize assignments to meet commitments
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent team player, with strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external customers
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to arrive at pragmatic solutions to technical issues that represent the best engineered solution from the perspectives of cost, schedule and scope
- Perform any and all duties below this classification (Substation Automation Engineer)
- Perform major storm restoration work and associated drills as assigned
- Follow all policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- May lead asset management teams
What We are Hoping You Bring to LUMA
LUMA's culture is rooted in the concept of People First, Safety Always. We want your knowledge and expertise to pair with LUMA's globally recognized experts in numerous fields such as customer service, field workforce development, high-voltage transmission engineering, distributed energy resources and mini/micro grid integration. Our employees receive substantial training and development, as well as opportunities for advancement and success. Within our People First, Safety Always culture, we're committed to offering continuous learning opportunities and career-long support for our employees.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in a Utility Environment
- Experience applying sound judgment to make decisions
- Experience mentoring junior engineers and designers
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering
- Previous experience working in Transmission related environment
- Professional Engineer or Professional Licensee designation
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid Engineering License issued by the Examining Board of Engineers and Surveyors of Puerto Rico and Active Member of the College of Engineers and Surveyors of Puerto Rico.
Percent of time: 30%
Overnight required: Yes
- Stationary Position - Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling/Reaching - Seldom
- Climb - Seldom
- Kneel - Seldom
- Grab - Seldom
- Bend - Seldom
- Lift/carry over - 10 - 30 LBS
- Vision - Vision acuity to operate vehicle
- Hearing - Receive detailed information if spoken to
- Wet or Humid - Seldom
- Working near or on moving mechanical parts - Seldom
- Working near or on heavy machinery - Seldom
- Working in high places - Seldom
- Exposed to fumes or airborne particles - Seldom
- Exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals - Seldom
- Frequency of working in outdoor weather conditions - Seldom
- Work with Electricity - Seldom
- Work with explosives - N/A
- Work on or near a source of radiation - N/A
- Loud noise conditions (above 87dB)- Seldom
We are looking forward to seeing your application!
Thank you for expressing interest in LUMA and taking the time to read all the details of this position. We encourage you to apply and give us the opportunity to get to know you better through the recruitment process. Together, we're energizing the people of Puerto Rico.
Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, working conditions, physical demands, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.LUMA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.