Senior Environmental Engineer (SH&E)
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader providing propulsion and energetics to its space, missile defense, strategic, tactical missile and armaments customers throughout domestic and international markets. We offer a complete line of propulsion products for launch vehicles, missile defense, and advanced hypersonic propulsion.Visit www.rocket.com for more information on our company.
We are seeking a Senior Safety, Health & Environmental Engineer to take the lead on environmental compliance and support other health and safety initiatives for our team located near Culpeper, in beautiful rural Orange County, Virginia (1+ hour drive from Washington DC).
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Under limited general direction, the Senior Safety, Health & Environmental (SH&E) Engineer will support and lead a wide variety of SH&E compliance efforts and projects by performing engineering assignments requiring application of advanced principles, theories, and concepts plus a working knowledge of related SH&E disciplines and regulations:
- 35% - Performs assignments that ensure compliance with SH&E regulations, including preparation of permit applications, recordkeeping and reporting, and related interaction with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- 30% - Provides oversight/guidance for SH&E compliance programs including but not limited to indoor air quality / industrial hygiene, process safety management, hazardous materials management, waste management, environmental monitoring, remedial / corrective action efforts, storm-watermanagement, oil spill prevention/SPCC.
- 10% - Supports development and implementation of company and site-specific SH&E management system programs, initiatives, and procedures. Responsible for tracking, analyzing, and reporting SH&E metrics / indicators including injury trends, closeout of corrective actions, and resource conservation efforts.
- 10% - Participates in, supports, and/or leads investigations of injuries, illnesses, environmental releases, and incidents / accidents to develop effective corrective actions. Same for internal and external SH&E audits, including report preparation with effective corrective actions, and tracking to closure.
- 10% - Evaluates new chemicals; planned new or modified manufacturing or R&D facilities, equipment, tooling, or processes; and procedures with related process hazard analyses to ensure they can be implemented in compliance with SH&E regulations and Company and site-specific policies and procedures.
- 5% - Develops and conducts SH&E training sessions for compliance with new SH&E regulations, programs, initiatives, and procedures.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Environmental or related discipline and at least five (5) years of directly related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
Please call out in your resume if you have these strongly desired qualifications:
- Experience / knowledge of Environmental regulations (i.e., Title V, air, water/stormwater, waste, remediation, SPCC, EPCRA/SARA) including permitting and compliance in heavy industrial or chemical sector auditing
- Certified Hazardous Material Manager, Certified Safety Professional, and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist
- Advanced degree in an appropriate SH&E discipline
- Energetic materials experience
- Experience / knowledge of OSHA regulations, Process Safety Management, Process Hazard Analysis, and/or Explosives Safety regulations (e.g., DoD 4145.26M)
- 24- or 40-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training
- OSHA 10- or 30-hr. General Industry training.
- Firefighter and/or hazmat / spill response training, experience, and knowledge.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team environment.
Being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Aerojet Rocketdyne. Proof of vaccination or an accommodation request approved by Aerojet Rocketdyne will be required prior to starting employment with the Company.
May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Requires U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency or other status as a U.S. Person. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. Work may require the ability to operate material handling equipment (forklift, crane, hoist, man lift, etc.) in a safe manner. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels or with fume or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, etc. requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as face protection (safety glasses, goggles, face shield), foot protection (i.e. steel toed shoes, rubber boots, etc.), gloves, hard hat, shop coat and hearing protection. Some positions may require Respirator clearance up to and including the Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Level A clearance. Work requires the ability to change into or out of personal protective equipment when entering or exiting manufacturing, laboratory, or other areas. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. Work duties may also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer and/or the ability to travel by air or auto. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. This position may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.